Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday October 31st

What a wacky, hair-loss Halloween!!

My day started out fine, then seemed to get worse as the afternoon and evening went on! I felt well in the morning, but got some nausea around 11 AM. That was ok, since my new friend Shirline invited me over to her house to watch a movie. She fed me delicious orange julius, popcorn and even some soup. I still felt ok, and I really enjoyed watching the movie Enchanted, which was really cute. She took me to the store to get some Halloween candy for me to give out tonight. I got pretty tired at the store, so I had to rest after the kids got home. Actually, just the two older boys were here. They wanted to watch a movie, so I tried to convince them to do some chores before starting it, but one of them wanted to be lazy, I guess.

David got home around 4 PM and had just gotten a haircut. He convinced me that his hair stylist would give me a mohawk for free, since my hair is falling out anyway. I'm glad she buzzed the sides of my hair, but when we went to put green color gel on the spiky part, more hair started to pull out again. David took a photo, too, so I must post it up on this blog so you can see me Halloween 4 hour hairdo! I got to show it off to a few people and some kids in the neighborhood.

I don't know if it was the holiday or the candy or both, but my kids were really wild today. They all wanted to do different activities and were trying to decide when to trick or treat and who to go out with. Brenton was planning to attend one friend's party, but when that fell through he had to find someone else's party to crash. Fortunately he found one and a trusted mom was the driver to and from, so I let him go. Jonny has been acting really weird lately, so we found a few things he has been up to on the sly. Goodness, you sure have to be vigilant as a parent, as the kids always seem to be one step ahead of you!

Between the kids and my hair, I had a good cry tonight and now I'm feeling better. I have a soft knit cap that I got last year from the donation box at the cancer center. Maybe I'll pick out a few more, now that I have bald spots all over, so the caps can keep my head warm and comfortable. At least I already have a wig to wear, so I'll survive. Also, I know I have friends who have also gone through the hair loss, so that makes it easier to bear. I think I'll spend tomorrow wrapped in a warm blanket with a good book. I even have some treats to eat while I'm there.
Emilee

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mean this to sound insensitive, but wouldn't it be easier just to have your head shaved? It seems to me that it would be less traumatic then having hair falling out. But I'm sure that you've already thought about that. And I really like your wig, it looks so natural and good on you. It sounds like your Halloween day started out on a good note but ended in a crazy (and overwhelming) way. I hope that you have a good day tomorrow relaxing and taking it easy. Love you Emilee.

Ruth UK said...

Hallowe'en arrived and we were well prepared with a tub of packs of candy for the expected 15 to 20 groups that usually knock the door. Last night only one child came with her father so we are left with several packs of candy. A car hit our parked car as Rob was emptying the trunk and smashed the driver's side wing mirror so we are not too pleased by this unexpected bill. The new mirror has to be ordered and spray painted before we can get it fixed and because it is electrically operated this will take a couple of hours work. I got news that "my Missionary" is about to marry again. Hopefully he will be happier than before. he has a son but will be step-daddy to 4 children, their father was killed in Iraq. I like your idea of getting comfortable with a book; just might copy you!!! Take care, Love Ruth

Matt and Maggie said...

I love the movie 'Enchanted'. I bet the boys would like it too.
My mom had some different turbans she liked to wear through treatments. She had a white one that she could wear to the temple. Our home teacher said he believed she had the smoothest skin in Lincoln! :)

Anonymous said...

Emilee you are such a trooper, each day you just keep on trying to be there for everyone..but I am also glad you realize that you need help and can ask for it!! We all know that charity is the pure love of Christ and we can only be found in service to others.
I had a nice visit with your mom last week after Katy's baby shower ( yes, we are going to have our first grandchild here within the month).. she didn't want to go on their cruise with you needing help but I told her let others help and she will be glad that you have had a fairly good week..
I enjoyed piecing the article in the Provo Hearald about you all together and the pictures are just going to be treasures for your family!! By the way what are your favorite colors??
Love from all of the Streets and especially Beth

Sugarlene said...

You ARE a trooper! I had no idea you weren't feeling well. Thanks for coming over anyway. I had a good time! I NEVER watch a movie during the day so it was fun! I can't wait to see your halloween pictures!