Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday October 2

I had nausea again today. I think the effects of the chemotherapy drug are catching up to me. I was careful to use my anti-nausea medications, so I managed not to feel too sick.
This morning, a reporter from the Daily Herald came to my house for an interview. I already knew that the newspaper wanted to do a feature, since the photographer has met me several times to take pictures. The reporter asked me several questions that made me think, for example "Do you ever ask 'why me'? How does your illness affect your family life? Have you spoken with your children about your mortality? Does being LDS help you cope with this challenge? At the end, he asked me what I would say to a woman who is newly diagnosed with breast cancer. He also asked if I had any advice or opinions about women in general who are worried about someday getting breast cancer. He took notes on my answers and it was kind of like a counseling session, since it gave me a chance to express my feelings and talk about my problems.

This evening, we went as a family to Thanksgiving Gardens. We've had a membership there for the past year. My boys and David take turns pushing me in a wheelchair as we looked at the many lush perennials still blooming at this time of year. I love flowers and I love the soothing tranquility of the gardens at sunset. I am glad I felt well enough to go on an outing tonight.
Emilee

4 comments:

Jenn K said...

I'm glad you felt well enough to go out, too. Can you believe I have never been to Thanksgiving Point's gardens?

I hope the nausea lessens and you will have a good Friday.

Cindy said...

I am so glad you were able to go to the gardens! I know how much you love them. We have been so lucky to have nice weather into October. I hope you are feeling better today (Friday) and that you have a fabulous conference weekend with your family.

Glen and Bonnie said...

Next time Jenn K comes to help you, take a side trip to the Thanksgiving Gardens with her. She's been wonderful to come weekly to help out. What a terrific sister-in-law!

Do we all have to wait until the newspaper article comes out to get the answers to the questions the reporter asked? I think I already know the answers, but they might be helpful for others.

I got called on for writing the wrong date (Oct. 30 instead of Sept.30) on my last entry. Perhaps that's where you inherited the "lapse" when you wrote MONDAY, Oct. 1. Maybe I'm just getting "funny" like Gran and my mother!

I was going to say that I'm amazed at your strength, but then you've ALWAYS been that way. You've had an amazing life, with so many wonderful accomplishments and experiences. I recently saw a sign that said, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." You've had so many wonderful moments, and I feel privileged to have been there with you for many of them. I look forward to an eternity of such moments with you, most of which are still ahead of us both.

I haven't figured out how to use my OWN identity, but soon Dad will show me. Until then I'll sign myself as:

Mrs. Glen - alias Mom

Ruth UK said...

Hi Emilee; I have struggled to get this far on your blog having signed up for (hopefully) a Google account and am now typing and holding my breath in case it fails to get to you. I guess the email I sent has arrived as nothing has bounced back. I read your blog each day and while you are giving your news and experiences you are giving others so much encouragement in their own lives. On Thursday my youngest daughter had knee surgery and came home yesterday using crutches for the next few weeks. I asked if her knee had been bandaged or was in plaster (a cast) only to be told she had 3 plasters. Then she said they were waterproof; she had keyhole surgery which needed two incisions and then another one for something else. Until she addded that I was trying to picture 3 casts on her knee!! We will be seeing her in about ten days and will be able to take her for checks at the hospital as well as taking her dad for a check up following his stroke and problems that arose from that. Bother her dad and my mother are 93 so we will be taking care of them both while we are in Weston. It will be good to spend time with my eldest daughter at the weekend. I have 3 grandchildren; Holly is 5 and such a tiny child, very delicate in looks but also very boisterous. Robin, her brother is 2 and only 3 inches shorter than Holly. He has enormous eyes and lashes to envy; long and curly. My other grandchild is William age 2 who runs everywhere getting into mischief but always with a laugh and look that defies you to be cross. Hmmmm!!!! Have a good day, hope the nausea stays away. Hopefully the newspaper article and pictures will be available to everyone to see. Love Ruth