Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thursday October 30th

I got to go out to lunch with friends today, for the first time in weeks. I may also get to go out tomorrow to visit my new friend Shirline, assuming my health cooperates. Speaking of which, the children were both surprised and awed when I told them at dinner that my hair is starting to come out. For now, it is staying on my head, but as soon as you pull on a piece of it, it comes out in your hand. I thought the boys might be interested turning my hair into a weird Halloween type hairdo, right in time for the holiday tomorrow. Imagine tomorrow night when I open the door and the trick or treaters aren't sure if I have a wig or real hair. Brenton seemed worried about the idea, but Jonny was all for it.

As expected, I am feeling a little better each day during this week off from treatment. It is a joy to feel somewhat normal again, though I still have some fatigue and nausea. Happy Halloween everyone! Come by my house if you want to see my half-bald head. It might be the only time I show it off before I start wearing my wig full time again.
Emilee

5 comments:

Jenn K said...

What a good attitude you have and perfect timing for your hair to fall out -Halloween! I hope Brenton finds the humor in it by tomorrow. Have a great Halloween night.

Sugarlene said...

I don't know about the wig......when i went through chemo, i always wore hats and one day I decided to wear a wig. My husband kept staring at me. I said, "What?" He said it looks like you're wearing a wig. I said I am. He said, "I like your hats better." So I took off the wig put on my hat and never wore a wig again. Besides, I hear that bald is beautiful! JK!!!!! You'll look beautiful no matter what!

Len and Elaine said...

So happy you were feeling better yesterday. I love your humor and spunk for a perfect Halloween hair-do! Hope you continue to feel more normal and stronger so you can be up and around. The boys sure picked out some great assessories for Halloween tonight. Johnny is especially scary! Have fun!!

LUV5KDZ said...

I came across something beautiful for you to think about...but first, I love your spunk! What a fun mom you are! I am so glad your hair held out for Halloween! It was great for your family picture, there for your newspaper interviews...and what a better time to get funky :) DON'T scare any children!! You have the perfect voice and sweet personality for Snow White, too bad you are not tall and skinny with perfectly black hair for halloween 'eh. I think I would answer the door in Snow White's voice and then open it as the step mom with the apples...at least once anyway! Have fun with your crazy hair for Halloween.

I thought your wig looked nice, especially because it looks so much like your own hair, and it gave you the confidence to go out when you wanted to.

I had a friend who was a breast cancer survivor who never stopped wearing her hats...they became as much a part of her as her hair was before. She had cute ones for every outfit and every occasion - even long after she conquered the cancer. It was a cute part of her personality and you never knew why she wore them, untill you were close enough to hear her story.

SO, here is the beautiful thing I found while waiting for my son's x-rays at Kaiser yesterday...

Cancer is SO LIMITED!
It can not...
cripple love
shatter hope
corrode faith
destroy peace
kill friendship
suppress memories
silence courage
invade the soul
it can not steal eternal life
it can not conquer the spirit
~unknown

You have been a beautiful example of overcoming cancer with your love of life and knowing that this mortalitity is just a step along the way to eternal life. It may have held your body captive for a while and made you miserable in some ways, but every day you find a new joy...and now you share those things with us, like PERFECT hair for Halloween!

THANK YOU EMILEE for being such a friend!

LUV
Rebecca

LUV5KDZ said...

Happy HaLlOwEeN! I want to see the funky hair!