Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday October 12th

I was disappointed today because I had hoped to be well enough to attend church and also 2 baby blessings for extended family. Even though we had those 3 events today, surprisingly none of them conflicted timewise with the others. David's brother Brian blessed his baby William at 9 AM. David was able to bring Nathan, so I'm glad at least the two of them made it. I woke up this morning and my throat was still just as sore. I'm monitoring my temperature and I don't have a fever, so I am thinking that the soreness in my throat and on my tongue are probably side effects from the chemotherapy. I have to choose foods that are low in acid and easy to get down, like yogurt, bread (Julie brought me some homemade wheat and Chrissie brought banana bread on Friday night. Perfect timing, wasn't it?), eggs, ramen noodles, applesauce, ice cream and anything without a lot of salt or seasonings. I made some beef stroganoff while David and the kids were at church, and I was barely able to eat more than a bite or two because it hurt my mouth. Fortunately, David brought me home some Ricola lozenges (yes, he was willing to stop at a convenience store on Sunday) and they have been soothing for my throat.

My cousin Julie's baby is being blessed this evening, but I still don't feel up to going out. David took the boys and I know they will have a nice time. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get well enough to do fun outings again, so you can see why I was glad to get out for a bit yesterday. Still, I am appreciative of the many blessings and gifts we have received, as it makes our lives a little easier, a little happier. I can tell that my illness is having an effect on the children. Brenton is 14 and he broke a school rule on Friday, so we had to take away another privilege. Jonny still has times when he loses his temper or gets frustrated easily, as does Nathan. I want to sit down with the boys and tell them about some of the blessings that have come to our family, despite our trials. I want their lives to be as normal as possible and I wish I could do more for them than I can. I guess today I'm a little sad, as I have a right to be. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better.
Emilee

11 comments:

Debbie Burraston said...

We missed you at you at church today. Brianne gave a talk....if you want to hear it or read it...let me know. Nathan was great in Sharing time. He shared the story of Pres, Uchtdorf's train experience from General Conference...he did a great job! You should have seen how high his hand was when I asked if anyone remembered the story of the train from Gen Conf. He was so excited to share. We talked about faith hope and charity....I know you have a great testimony of faith hope and charity. We love you Emily and hope you are feeling better soon....Debbie

Anonymous said...

Emilee, If you ever need to send Nathan over in the afternoon after school, or just whenever, please do not hesitate. We would love to have him over to play with Caleb, and help with homework anytime. I hope your throat feels better! XOXOX
Christi Gudmundson

Melissa said...

Hi Emilee-

I emailed David a recipe for egg drop soup. It's pretty simple and soothing on a sore throat, while providing you protein and strength. I lived off soups when I had strep, especially this one.

We hope you're feeling better tomorrow! Thank you again for your blog.

Unknown said...

So sorry you've had that sore throat. What did the doctor say about it? Hang in there. We'll be there soon, and we're bringing Aunt Barbara with us too, so it should be a fun trip!

Thank you, THANK YOU to all of you who have replied to Emilee's blog, for your kind, uplifting words and for you service to Emilee and her family. We cannot thank you enough!

Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Many of you have wondered how Emilee can keep up her spirits in spite of the pain and the difficulties facing her. If you are not LDS, you may not understand that it is largely because of our faith in our Heavenly Father's plan. Check out the comment from Emilee's cousin Jeff Baer on the Sept. 30th blog to get a better idea of how LDS people look at life and death. Thanks Jeff for sending that!

Bonnie Dolberg (Mom)

Benjamin said...

Dear Emilee
It’s hard to quantify what the Dolbergs mean to me and the Fisher clan. Love, True Friend ship, and never wavering example are a start. I wonder if the people that live in that old house at the end of that cul-de-sac know how much fun was had there, the love and friendship that pored out.
The cub scout meetings, the meals, the sleep over’s, the family home evenings, the family scripture studies, the games played in the den, the weeds pulled in the garden, the trips in that old station wagon (the seat belt test). These times and more I spent with you and your family. I love and cherish them.
I’m just in Pleasant Grove, I would love to bring you something that you need or want, and dinner for you and your family. My wife is a chef, email (fisherdigitel@gmail.com) me what you would like and what the boys would like, it can be anything (do you have a soup you love) and we can bring it over. Saturdays are best for us with school and all, but Thursdays can work to. My love goes out to you and my family fasts and prays for you.
Love, Benjamin Fisher

Benjamin said...

sorry that is fisherdigital@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee,

Carol Hatch here from your folk's Stockton ward. It's a pretty day in No. California. Feels like autumn is in the air with cooler days and even cooler nights.

Thank you for keeping up your blog. Your thoughts and day to day feelings mean a great deal. Your candor and faith are an inspirational combination!

When you're in town Nathan is in my daughter, Becca's, Primary class. I was lucky to sub once during one of your visits and got to know him a bit. Love his indomitable spirit and energy!

Hoping your sore throat is better. Carol

Ruth UK said...

Hi Emilee, We go to Somerset tomorrow to seee my family and will be away a week. Hope that your throat improves during this time and that you feel better. Not looking forward to the journey as the weather forecast is for rain all day. Hopefully this machine will switch on when we come home; it has been on standby for two weeks because it has refused to switch on!! Then it does that a few hours later when it is not expected to. The expert says it is unrepairable. Great!! Take care we will still think of you while we are away. Love Ruth

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee-

We'd love to have you guys over for a game night. . . I nned to play cards again with you- you are good at it. :-)

Or, if there is a good time we can come over there for a bit.

Love you- Greg and Melissa

Matt and Maggie said...

Love, love, love the pictures. What a pretty day to take them!