Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesday October 14th

David and I had early appointments with the dentist this morning. It was our first time in over a year, since we didn't have any money for exams, etc. I'm glad that David woke up at 6:45 and brought me 2 pain pills, or I don't think I would have been able to go anywhere at 8:30. Just the fact that I was up and about and dressed and ready was amazing, considering how much I've stayed at home lately. When David started work for Security National, he became eligible for dental benefits. They cover exams and also up to 80% on fillings. So, when Dr. Lohner said David needed 2 fillings, we weren't worried. Then, once he drilled into the tooth, some blood came up and the dentist said he needed a root canal instead. Not only that, but the dentist thinks the tooth is still at risk for a chip or a crack, so he recommended getting a crown as well. To make matters worse, the waiting period for our dental insurance is 12 months before they will cover a large procedure, so we will need to pay it out of pocket. Today we only had to pay for the root canal, so I put it on the credit card. The crown will cost about $1000. We'll probably have to borrow money for that, too. I know there are places where we can get them cheaper, but I don't know if the quality will be the same.
So, just as we are discussing David's teeth and what to do, the Dentist looks at my xrays and found that I have an abcess in the gum right above my right front tooth (I have an old crown from 15 years ago and our best guess is that the metal on the crown kept irritating the gum above it and it couldn't ever heal because I kept having treatments.) The abcess doesn't hurt but it has slowly been draining fluid during this last year. The dentist recommended a root canal and a crown for my tooth. Yikes! Both David and I need the same things and they aren't covered on our plan. Right now I am going to wait and see how things go with my new treatments. I don't have immediate pain and I figure if I have lived this long with the abcess, I can stand to wait a little longer, if I need to.
It was David's suggestion to put my request about grocery shopping in my blog yesterday. Sure enough, but the end of the morning, I had several offers. My visiting teachers came to visit, then Debbie Burraston came over and got my shopping list and my credit card. Then, I called Sister Jolley, the Relief Society President to see if she could help me plant some pansies I bought last week. She brought a loaf of bread with her and shortly afterward, my next door neighbor, Christy, brought some potato-corn chowder for our dinner. I think it is like a miracle when people show up and bring us things, often at the ideal time, since I didn't have anything planned for dinner besides leftovers. Debbie came back from the store and stayed to help me put away groceries and we ate some sandwiches she had brought for lunch. I am really appreciating all the people who are serving me as well as our family.
I've still felt a little sick on and off through the day, so I have to be on top of my medication, but in general I am doing better than I was over the weekend. Just in time to begin my next round of chemotherapy tomorrow. Elaine will drive me up to Salt Lake. I've got a friend for Nathan to play with when he gets home from school. I'll try to set up some similar circumstances for Brenton and Jonny. I am always a bit nervous when they are coming home to an empty house. I'm not worried about crime, but mostly that they could get into trouble with any friends that come by or tv shows that aren't acceptable, and those sorts of things. Brenton has several times left home to go down to the creek and meet some friends without telling me. I don't want that happening while I'm gone. If I'm lucky, I might make it home by 3:30 at the very earliest.
If I don't write tomorrow night, I might be feeling sick or tired from my treatment. Sometimes I like to take my anti-nausea drugs and go to bed early when I'm not feeling well. When my parents come in a couple of days, they could even type my blog for me while I tell them what to say. So long for now!
Emilee

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emilee-

I can pick up Brenton and Jonnie at 3:30 on Wed, if they'd like to hang out over at our place for a few hours. If they want to brign over RISK, I need a good game. L-)

-Greg and Melissa

Jenn K said...

Nice to see a daily message from you. I was starting to worry because you were feeling unwell on Monday. If it makes you feel any better, I went to the dentist today, too, and have two fillings to get as well. But nothing as bad as two crowns!

A few years ago Ryan managed to chip two teeth within a month's time. Once on a potato chip and once while eating a sandwich. He's also chipped his front tooth and had the crown replaced four times on the same tooth! Originally he broke it from a bike accident, then getting hit by a door, then someone through a M&M for him to catch in his mouth and it chipped the crown, and lastly he was yanking a dum-dum lolli-pop with his teeth and broke the crown that way, too. Crazy, eh? So, just sending sympathy vibes for your and David's teeth and pocket book.

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of you all day. I'm so grateful for Elaine being there to support you. We'll be there soon to relieve her. We had another delightful day with Ella. She's such a cute one, and has been a delight. Anything you want us to bring?

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Emilee,

Aren't friends and the sisters in Relief Society amazing? As I read your blog I thought of Pres. Uchtdorf's wonderful talk from the Relief Society General broadcast. The women in your area truly are living his teachings. I wish I lived close so I could help you out, too. I'm so glad that your parents are coming soon.

I hope your next treatment goes well.

Loralee Sudweeks

Unknown said...

Emilee -
David Cole here in North Carolina by way of California where we knew your family years ago and then again when your dad was our bishop and hometeacher. We have followed your blog for several weeks after your Dad alerted us to your postings. I thought you'd like to know that your courage has been an inspiration to our family and a warning that true safefy is only available in a knowlege of the gospel. Thanks for the time you take to chronicle your life and times.
David Cole & Family