Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday October 3rd

Elaine drove me to Salt Lake to see my oncologist today. He wanted to check my blood counts and make sure I am managing my symptoms. At my old oncologist's office, I would first see the doctor, then the nurses would draw blood and do the blood count. They would show it to the doctor and she would decide if I my counts were good enough to have a treatment that day. Also the doctor would decide if I needed a shot or a transfusion to boost my red blood cell count. I'm explaining this because Dr. Shehadeh's office does it the opposite way. My first stop was at their lab room where the nurse drew blood from my port. We had to wait another 20 minutes or so before Dr. Shehadeh came in, but I was really impressed that he had my blood results in his hand and he took the time to look at them carefully and explain them to me. He was very genuine and caring and he reviewed with me the plan for my next cycle. He asked about my pain level (which is under good control with my new patch.) He asked about any other side effects I might be experiencing. I think, as time goes on, I am likingl Dr. Shehadeh more and more. Today I commented to the nurse how grateful I was to have chosen Dr. Shehadeh. Her response surprised me. The nurse said that if she had my same illness, Dr. Shehadeh would be her first choice for an oncologist. Then she mentioned that she had worked with several other doctors before, so she has a way to compare him with the others.

Elaine and I went to lunch on our way back from Salt Lake. We met up with Shelly, Brian's wife, and her new baby, William. Elaine brought me home, then the boys came home from school just a while later. At 3:30 the photographer for the Daily Herald came to get some photos of the children "doing just what they normally do," she said. I convinced the boys to play a board game wtih me, so that gave her an opportunity to photograph all of us together.

I am still having nausea, but I am able to control it by taking my pills regularly. They make me drowsy, more than usual, so I have been sleeping in every morning. I suppose the extra sleep won't hurt me! David and I were going to go out on a date tonight, but two of our boys got in trouble this afternoon, so we are staying in to watch a movie. I'll let you know how it goes.
Emilee

2 comments:

Chrissie said...

I'm so glad that you are having a positive experience with your new doctor. And I'm so glad you have this blog so I can find out about it! Do you know when the article will be in the Daily Herald? I hope you have a nice relaxing weekend.

Matt and Maggie said...

We are soooo out of the loop all the way over here in Nebraska. I can't wait to tell Matt that Brian and Shelly are parents!