Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday October 17th

I felt sick again today, but I am learning more about how to manage my pain and anti-nausea medications. I dozed off several in the day. This morning my parents came to greet me and stay all day to help me. At the same time, Ashley, the photographer, took some candid photos as my mom was showing me the gifts she brought with her: photos and drawings from my neices Lola and Ella, European chocolate (The best she could find in the grocery store!) and some books to read. Jennie came by to pick up more clothes for Nathan, so he can stay at her house the rest of the weekend. I'm glad because he always seems very happy with the Kilstroms.

During this course of chemotherapy, I have a goal to take the oral medication for the entire 2 weeks, then have a week off and it will be a total of 3 weeks for treatment and the Dr. can order a PET scan to mark my progress (if any.) The biggest challenge in meeting this goal comes from being able to take the chemo pill and keep it down. Also, to endure the side effects even if they get terrible. Tonight I went with my parents to theirs and Dave's house in Orem. Brenton and Jonny each had a friend over and Jonny wants to sleep in the trailer. Anyhow, David stayed home and made dinner for the boys and watched over them. The drive to my parents' house was fine, but as soon as I got inside, I knew I needed to throw up. Fortunately, I felt better after a while and could eat a little dinner, then we all watched a movie, Letters from Iwo Jima.
My magic mouthwash seems to help the pain and soreness in my mouth. I took a nap in the afternoon and so I am getting plenty of rest. Bye for now,
Emilee

4 comments:

Christine said...

Emilee I think it's pretty cool that the newspaper is documenting your story. Hopefully it might gain you and your family support and help others understand what cancer sufferers go through.

jbaer said...

What a trooper you are! I spent the entire last week packing up our belongings for a move. I was sick, and it just made everything take longer and seem more difficult and stressful. However, I was grateful for the help of others who helped lighten the load. So, I can only imagine what it feels like to live with constant sickness. I hope you are able to function through all of this.

Jenn K said...

Nathan and Trent are as goofy and funny as usual. They're inseparable. I keep asking them if they want alone time and "NO!" is always the answer. They've spent their day completely ignoring Ryan and I and jumping on the trampoline, taking a bike ride to the school park, playing Transformers and Bionicles, watching SpongeBob, playing Lego Starwars, and playing outside some more.

Len and Elaine said...

How great it is that your parents can be with you! I know you feel better with them by your side. Len called David today and he said you felt just a touch better which we were relieved to hear. You are really a tough fighter to be so determined to stick with such strong chemo. I admire you so much!

Just a little humor as I know you get a kick out of some of the odd things I sometimes say. I saw a not-so-flattering picture on T.V. of Ralph Nader--I said to Len without thinking, "Gee, he looks like Darth Vader".