Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesday October 21st

I started out my day fairly hopeful, with my crackers and pills routine. I had a pretty good morning, then a worse afternoon. I felt so sick that I needed to lie down in my bed and not move or talk just in order to avoid throwing up (yes, I do have a container by my bed.) In some ways it was nice that the kids were at school and I got to rest or watch tv. The nausea, however, is tricky because when I am lying down, watching Lifetime movies from my dvr (and the dvd North and South, thanks Laurie!) I feel pretty well, so I get up and move my legs around, get some snacks, feed the dog, etc. The longer I stay up, the worse I feel and so it is back to bed, waiting for the anti-nausea drug to kick in.

It is hard not to get discouraged. I want to hope for a better life, but there are many things I miss doing that make me wonder if I will ever get to do them or enjoy them again. My whole world revolves around staying at home and going to visit doctors. I have one more week of the Xeloda to take (one tablet in the morning, one at night) and then I'll get a week off. Perhaps by then, my nausea will pass, but I feel that I have always been getting sicker and sicker and I don't know that anything else will be able to prevent the progression of my disease at this point.

It will be interesting to read about myself in the Daily Herald this Sunday. The are doing a series of articles about Breast Cancer and they will present my profile. I will be interested to know how the public will react to my situation as I'm including my blog address in the article. I like to read and it is fun to get comments from all of you, even some that I don't know as well as others. It is also a unique situation to be served by everyone, so much that I can barely care for my own needs, let alone those of my children. I have a friend doing my shopping tomorrow. My mother-in-law is taking the boys to the dentist in the afternoon. She is also taking me to another appointment on Thursday. The Relief Society is bringing us dinner and some freezer meals. I feel ok to stay home by myself. If I were to have bad pain, for example, I know now what pills to take or I Icould call a close by friend or neighbor. Much of the stress from our household is handled by David, who struggles between the role of father, husband and income provider. He has got the first two covered, but is struggling to build more job security and more income in this slow mortgage market. I wish he didn't have to work as long and that he had more time to share with me. Bye for now,
Emilee

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I too am grateful to those who comment on your blog. I appreciate the positive and uplifting words to you, as they help me too! And I VERY MUCH appreciate those who are there to help you when we can't be there. THANK YOU!!

I'm glad you had at least SOME time yesterday when you were feeling fairly well, and could enjoy some TV. I guess we just need to count our blessings, grateful for the love, support and prayers of those around us, and for moments - however brief - of happiness and comfort.

I too am looking forward to the newspaper article. Be sure to put the article's website address on your blog for those of us who can't get the paper ourselves. BUT also, be sure to save several copies of the newspaper too. Yes, it will be interesting to see what people write. You may hear from people you know but haven't had contact with in a long time!

Much love ALWAYS! Mom

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are enjoying North and South (BBC version), it is one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

I too am looking forward to your newspaper article. For some reason, I thought it was this LAST Sunday.....My bad! Emilee, I am so sorry you have been feeling so poorly. Hopefully, it is just the meds, and when you get a break, you will feel so much better.
I just want you to know what an inspiration you are to me. When I say you can call anytime, for anything, I MEAN IT! Send Nathan over anytime.
Thinking of you often!
Christi Gudmundson

Susie said...

Thank you so much for your blog, Emilee...it always put things into the proper perspective. I'd love for you to check out my blog, http://sassyandsinglesusie.blogspot.com/ next time when you have a minute. It's not nearly as inspirational, but I do write down a variety of things here and there. Hang in there! I hope to stop by this weekend. Much love, Susie

Jenn K said...

I had a friend over today whose brother went through cancer a few months ago. He had soars in his mouth as well. She said his doctors advised him to drink Ensure to get proper nutrition. So, are you going to add Ensure to your wishlist?