Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday October 16th

Well, if you guessed that I was sick yesterday, you were right! Elaine brought me to the office in Salt Lake, where I met with the physician's assistant at 10 am and then began my treatment around 11am. Since one of the premedications is Benadryl I was able to doze a little bit, which made the treatment (4 hours) seem shorter.

I was already feeling nauseated on the way home from Salt Lake. Elaine and I stopped at the pharmacy to get me some larger pain patches and a magic mouthwash (yes, it does say this on the prescription bottle) which has some lidocaine in it and is supposed to help with the sores in my mouth. I am always amazed at how many medications exist now to combat the side effects of chemotherapy. In the evening, I took my first dose of the oral chemo drug called Xeloda. It came with a pill container to help me remember if I have taken each dose, one in the morning, one in the evening. I have been having episodes of "chemo brain" where I have difficulty remembering things and I feel somewhat scatter brained. This is a legitimate side effect! Greg came over with a pizza and played Risk with Brenton and Jonny. Jenny came to pick up Nathan. I went to bed early. It was nice to know, however, that my children were happy and entertained!

At 5:30 this morning, I woke David up and told him I needed more pain medicine. He gladly brought me some pills and another small patch. I was having so much pain in my abdomen that it hurt if I even moved or rolled over. I woke up at 8 am and was able to get up and use the bathroom without too much pain. I haven't been downstairs yet today and it is almost noon. I've been watching a movie called "In Her Shoes." Brenton brought me a little bell to ring if I need anything. Since I was feeling nauseated again, Brenton brought me up a can of lemon lime soda and a granola bar. If I feel this bad tomorrow, I am glad that my mom is on her way and can take care of me and cheer me up.

I'm a little bummed out because this is the big weekend in the fall where the children are out of school for 3 days, with a weekend in between. (Thurs- Mon.) Usually it is the ideal time to take our trailer out somewhere since the weather hasn't turned too cold yet. We've had snow or frost on the lawn several mornings, but it has always melted away for the afternoon. Instead, I'm suspecting that I'll just be stuck at home feeling sick.

I need some advice from any of you who live close by. When storing our trailer for the winter, we want to take down the front fence on the left side of our house. Then, we want to put gravel down on that spot next to the house. After we back the trailer up the lawn to that spot, we want to hang a double sized gate and put the rest of the fence up, theoretically so that we can open the gate and get the trailer out next spring. I prefer having the trailer right up next to the house, but David thinks it will be better to park next to our driveway and extend the fence around it. That might save the cost of getting the double size gate. I would rather put the trailer in the backyard, on the side that we don't use for anything right now. Since I don't know much about fences, I'm up to hearing any of your ideas.
Emilee

14 comments:

Jenn K said...

As the ever-opinionated one when it comes looking at the eyesores of awkwardly placed trailers, sheds, and fences in my neighborhood, it would look best to pay the extra to have your idea of a double-wide gate and storing the trailer on the side of house in the long run. Better curb appeal for sure.

Hope you get the rest you need. Nathan is doing great.

Kathryn said...

Unfortunately I have no advice about fences. I am glad you will have your parents with you soon...maybe they are already there. I hope you will feel comforted and out of pain soon. I wish there was something I could do from here to be of assistance to you. Sorry to hear about the dental woes. We just started Josh at the orthodontist and it's expensive and no fun. Take good care of yourself tonight...miss and love you. Kath

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that Mom and Dad will let you store your trailer in their backyard for this upcoming season until you can get a more permanent arrangement. But I agree with Jennie, it would look the best to store the trailer on the side of the house.

Anonymous said...

I also want to say that I am so sorry that you are in a lot of pain. I'm glad that you get some relief from the patches and the pills, but I wish they worked 100% for you. I think about you every day and hope that you are having a better day. Hang in there and I love you.

Anonymous said...

That "anonymous" comment was from me! Still getting the hang of this ...

Anonymous said...

Okay, third time is the charm ... anonymous is Laurie!

Anonymous said...

I also want to let you know that I've been following your blog and have been wanting to comment on it but I hadn't figured out how to do so until now (lame, I know!) But I have read every entry and also all the comments that the entries have generated. First of all, I am so glad that you're blogging, I've wanted to know what you're going through and this is so helpful to me to know and understand just what you're facing. I am also so happy that many people have participated in following your blog and in making comments to you. I hope that your blog and the comments help you a little bit each day. I need to add to Chrissie's book and send a letter to you as I have many good memories of your generosity and kindness when times have been tough in our family. For anyone else who is reading this post, I want you to know that Emilee and David have been very gracious, helpful, loving, and generous when other people have been in need, including me and my family. I remember every kind thing you have done for me, Emilee, and I am grateful to be your sister-in-law. May the Lord hold you in His hands.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for leaving so many messages tonight, but you are foremost on my mind. I've looked back at older entries because I remembered the one with your "wish list". Since we do live close by, I'd love to have either David or me drop some of these items at your home. I just have a few questions. As far as DVDs, a friend has leant me the first and second season of a show called "Supernatural". It's clean (no bad language) and a little bit like The X Files. It's a fun show. Are you interested in that? If not, I'll try to think of something else. Also, do you have Pride and Prejudice? (The A&E version). I have it and can lend it to you. I also highly recommend a video called "North and South", it's like a Jane Austen story and I really think that you'd like it. It's a miniseries so it would be great entertainment. I will try to find it for you.

Next, I have a question about the European chocolate. Tell me specifically what kind you like. We can go to the BYU Bookstore and get a bunch of stuff there. Do you like Lindt chocolates? Do you prefer dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

And lastly, David would be happy to drop off some Chinese food from China Isle or a shrimp and avacado salad from Applebees for you on his way home from work one of these nights. We will call ahead and see if you have dinner plans before we do this.

Okay, this is lastly lastly, have you read the Twilight series of books? Are you interested in them? I own all four of these books and would be happy to lend them to you.

That's all for now! Except that we have some essential oils that might assist with pain relief. I'll have David pick them up from work and we'll drop them off soon. You can mix the essential oil with their V8 oil and apply it directly to your skin on the spot where it's hurting (I'm thinking that it might ease some of the pain in your abdomen/liver area).

Hope that you rest well tonight, I know that you're going through some tough times right now, the toughest of the tough.

Anonymous said...

Also, let us know if you'd like David to take some more pictures of you and your family, anytime, at your convenience, and it can be short notice, when you are having a good day, let us know and David will be happy to go over and take some pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ok, regarding the fence, vs. street question. . . yes, I recomend we voulenteer mom and dad's storage space- they will love it :-) Or, you can just do what my neighbor does, and park it on your front lawn. :-) It was great to seee you guys today. . .-Greg

titchygirl said...

Hi Emilee,
Its my first time posting a blog here and you wont have a clue who I am!!! I actually met your folks on a recent cruise around the Baltic and they e-mailed me about you. I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland with my husband Trevor. I have just recently finished work as I am 37 weeks pregnant with my first baby so have finally had time to sit down with my computer. Thought I would just introduce myself at this point as I cant think of any clean funny jolks right now to amuse you with.
Facinated to hear about life the other side of the pond (the trails of a fence!)and thought you might get a kick out of receiving good cheer from thousands of miles away from a complete stranger!!!!!
Amyhow, cheers for now,
Paula xx

Christine said...

Hey Emilee just writing to let you know that we've been thinking about you at our house.

Can't help you with the fence question (we wouldn't have room here to park it anywhere in the back or front) it's nice to have room for multiple options.

Hope you have a good day. Talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee,

We would love to come and bring dinner/visit sometime this upcoming week. When do you think a good time would be?

Anonymous said...

David is dropping by the essential oils for you to use tonight. Just put some V6 oil on the palm of your hand and add five or six drops of the Pain Away to the V6 oil. Mix them in the palm of your hand and apply to your liver area. This shouldn't affect any other medications. Hope it helps if even a little bit.