Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday November 8th

It is nice to have a Sunday, a day of rest each week. I like it when our family is together, here at home, and then at 1:00 the children come to church with us. I like feeling the spirit of God when we worship. I like meeting the other members of the congregation who ask how I'm doing and tell me they are glad to see me at church. I like having friends in the ward who pray for me and put my name on the temple prayer roll. I want to give my will to Heavenly Father so that I might do what he asked me to do. I am humble and willing to learn and to change for the better.

My brother Dave was really kind to take all 3 of my boys on a hike yesterday afternoon. In the past, he only brought Brenton and Jonny, but I was touched that he was willing to take little Nathan and choose a path that would be easier for him to climb. They also brought Sandi, so that encouraged Nathan as well. David and I enjoyed watching a movie together and I made some orange chicken for dinner. In addition, David spent a couple of hours working in our yard, getting things prepared for winter. It was nice to have some quiet in our house for 7 hours!

So far, I haven't been feeling too terribly bad, but I am managing the side effects from my chemo by using my mouthwash and anti-nausea pills. I've been wearing head coverings and soft little hats when I am home. The hats are stretchy, almost like a beanie style so they are quite comfortable. When I go out, I usually wear my wig, but I also have a fall (artificial bangs) that I can wear with a hat, so it looks like I have hair. Thank you to my friend Janet who gave me 3 hats! I don't think I would ever want to go out with just a scarf on my head, because then you can tell I am bald. I have sneaked a peak here and there at my bald head. I am still adjusting to it. Maybe someday soon I will be able to look at it and let the reast of my family look at it as well, but right now I am too embarrassed.

Well, tomorrow is back to work for David and back to school for the boys. I expect to be feeling about the worst theis next week. The Dr. indicated that the medicine's worst effects are felt between days 7 and 10 and it is called "nadir." It's a funy word, maybe I'll look it up sometime. If you do, post a comment on what it means. If I get feeling too bad, I'll go over to the lab and get my blood tested to make sure I don't need any shots or even a blood transfusion. My mom's friend, Alex Heinzen, recommended I take wheat and barley grass juice, since it helps keep your blood counts up during chemo. I bought a big can of the dried supplement and have been mixing it with my Reliv. Perhaps it has helped me avoid any blood transfusions so far! It is hard to know which supplements are doing what for me, but I will continue to take the ones that people give me.
Love from me to you! Emilee

3 comments:

Len and Elaine said...

Hi--Emilee,

I feel the same about Sunday's -- a special day very different from the rest of the week. I love to feel the inspiration from the members of our ward, too. Many every Sunday ask me about you and how you are doing--your name and David's must appear often on the prayer rolls of the temple as we and others in our family and ward always include you. Hope next week will be better than expected --I'll be in touch.

Love,
Elaine

Matt and Maggie said...

I bet the boys were too tired to cause any conflicts coming home. Not that they would anyway, but it would be nice. I'm glad you got some solitude.

Unknown said...

Hi Emilee

I looked up "nadir" I sent you the long explanation to your email address. But in short it is
mainly in reference to the blood counts, particularly white blood cell count and platelet count. Nadir basically means low point.

I have a couple of sayings on my wall at work. One of them says
"Attitude is Everything" Thank you for showing us all about having a great attitude means all the difference.

It has been almost 16 years since your wedding. I remember it well as Todd will be turning 16 on Thanksgiving this year.

Prop 8 here in CA was quite an experience. I went out on Saturday before the election to hang door hangers to remind people to vote. We are so thankful that it passed but the No people are really targeting the Mormons. A few of the men at church were called as "Bouncers" this last Sunday. Other wards had men called to go and stand guard at the temples here in CA. There has been quite heated conversations at the High Schools saying that the YES people are discriminating and saying many unkind things to our kids. It is a trying time.

Take care. Hope this week goes good for you!

Love
Aunt Sally