Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday November 23rd

A few people have asked me how to access my article and photos that were printed in the Daily Herald on October 26th. I've found that the original link still works. That is: heraldextra.com/breastcancer

After being sick and staying close to home for 2 1/2 weeks, it felt invigorating to have a family outing yesterday. The day was cold and sunny and we drove to Salt Lake. On our way, we drove along 1300 East and saw all of the people dressed in red, walking toward the stadium for the BYU - Utah game. Our destination was the Salt Lake City cemetery. I looked on the internet to find out where Pres. Hinckley's grave was. Unfortunately, I found the cemetery but didn't know the exact place to look when we went there. The afternoon was getting late, so we gave up looking and drove up to Honeyville in northern Utah to camp in our trailer at Crystal Springs.
We arrived around 5 PM and the kids still had enough daylight to ride their bicycles around the campground and float some wood in the pond. David cooked hamburgers, then he took the boys swimming in the hot spring. They also have a colder pool and a waterslide, so Jonny and Nathan used the slide again and again. When David tried the slide, he was surprised to end up in cold water at the end! He had been soaking with Brenton in the hot pool most of the time. I didn't feel like swimming, so I stayed with our dog Sandi in the trailer and read a book.
It was cold in the night, but our trailer stayed warm and toasty. This morning we had breakfast and packed up so we could arrive home before church started at 1 PM. I was able to attend sacrament meeting, then I came home to rest. I've been taking it easy all day and I hope to start feeling better this week. I am glad to have a chance to go out with our family. When we are out in the trailer we are forced to be in close quarters and there aren't so many distractions. The children actually play with each other (meaning they even play with Nathan) and they also learn responsibility when they help David with the hitch or setting up the trailer. I love bringing my own bed and bathroom and kitchen wherever we go, so I have all of the comforts of home. Plus, we can load and unload it at our leisure, unlike going to a hotel when you have to pack your things in the car, take them in the hotel and then repack again to go home. While we are out, I try not to think about my illness, but just enjoy being together as a family.
Emilee

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee- I am so glad you had a chance to go out on an adventure with David and the boys- just like old times. Melissa, and I and the boys loved Topaz mountain, and we'd love to go again. . .



You are great- Greg and Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hi there my beautiful Emilee,
I'm so glad to hear that you had a pretty good weekend and that you got to go camping with all the boys.. :) I wish I could have seen the look on David's face when he hit the cold water. Oh for a camera- hehehe
I miss you and love you and have you and the family in my prayers.
Love you, Now, Always & Forever,
Julie (Fisher) Chesley

Christi said...

I am so happy you had a nice, relaxing weekend! A nice hot spring sounds heavenly!!

LUV5KDZ said...

Hello, my dear friend! I have been meaning to send you a post since I saw that Naughty Julie Chesley was on here too! Ha! She is the funniest girl at camp. We are both going this year again. Lets pray we don't get into too much trouble because I have to act like a leader up there...and Julie should too, but she is a kid at heart and always will be :)

So, you went to visit my grandparents at the cemetery 'eh! I LOVE That place. My dad likes to walk me around and show me special things. We went there the night we missed President Hinckley's birthday party. I was there on time, but dad had my tickets and he was caught down south when the heat buckled the freeway and it was all a mess for a lot of people.

I am holding my breath to find out what your scan results will be. I am glad you are passing the time making fun memories with the kids and David. It sounds like fun to swim in a hot spring.

I know you have been sad, and sick of being sick, so I am glad you have a break from treatments coming up. What do you think about trying a tanning bed for your light therapy? Just be careful. Your fair skin will burn. My first trip to a tanning bed, I ended up with a striped sunburn. Funny as heck!

I am anxious to get to see your parents if they are going to be home while they are home. I will call them at a decent hour.

I have a couple of beautiful songs for you that were sent to me by Michael Ballam, but written by Deanna Edwards. Hearing you talk about fun things with the boys, like home made ice cream, camping, and hotsprings, reminds me of this one in particular:

Remember Me
Remember me whenever you see a sunrise,
Remember me whenever you see a star,
Remember me whenever you see a rainbow
Or woods in autumn colors from afar.
Remember me whenever you see the roses
Or seagulls sailing high in a sky of blue.
Remember me whenever you see waves shining in the sun
And remember, I'll be rememb'ring you.

Remember me whenever you see a teardrop
Or meadows still wet with morning dew.
Remember me whenever you feel love growing in your heart
And remember, I'll be rememb'ring you.

We are taking our kids to Disneyland over Thanksgiving break for an early Christmas. Ben has work to do down there and as I see it, this will be the BEST! We only have another year till Jessica is 18 and dying to go off to college. Then we have other big changes every year or two. I want to put out the Christmas decorations before we go and take loads of pictures there so we can make ornaments for the tree with them when we get home. Christmas morning will be just about being together and remembering the Savior without any stress over shopping or wrapping or returns because I bought the wrong style or size or color :) Everyone will just have happy memories. That's the goal anyway!!

Do you happen to have an account somewhere that we can contribute something toward your 2009 deductables? I would love to help you out so you can spend your time and energy with the family without worry about that burden. I'd rather see you spend money on a membership to Thanksgiving point so you can enjoy the gardens you shared with us than stuff that makes you sick (even if it is for your own good)!

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling...this is your blog, not mine. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you all the time. You are never far from my heart and prayers. Thank you for your good example.

I LUV YA!
~Becky

Glen and Bonnie said...

Dearest Emilee,

We're glad that you're able to enjoy a bit of normalcy. Don't overdo it, OK?

Meanwhile here are three bits of wisdom:

1. A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight.

2. Laughter is God's sunshine.

3. Take time to laugh for it is the music of the soul.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Always LOVE from DAD

Unknown said...

Dear Emilee:

You do have special parents and I know they love you very much. What a blessing it must be to have them in your life and to have their support and encouragement in this terrible ordeal you have been dealing with.

It was great to hear that you had a good week-end with your family and that your pain level has been better. I hope it continues and that this coming week will continue to be good for you and that Thanksgiving will be a special day. You are one of those special persons that always seems to find a way to look at the glass as 1/2 full versus 1/2 empty and in the misdt of your trial I know you will find much to be thankful for on that special day. As for my part I am grateful for you and for your example and for so much our loving Father in Heaven has given us.

In spite of the difficulties of life I know without a doubt that this mortal life experience is worth whatever trial and difficulty we go through for it's when we are weak than we are strong if we turn to God. The scriptures say that in the pre-existence we looked at our coming here on Earth and shouted of joy as we anticipated our mortal life and the trials we would have to go through. I believe that with all my heart for our mortal existence gives us the opportunity to learn and grow like no other experience can.

I continue to pray for you and your family and I wanted to express my continued support and love and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Stephen T said...

Emilee,
I love the Salt Lake cemetery. Sorry you could not find the Hinckley's. In case you can go back, I will give you some directions. When you enter the cemetery by the office, turn left and head up the hill. You will come to a 'Y' in the road. As you approach the 'Y' you will see a large monument ahead of you that says 'McKay.' Go left at the 'Y' and continue up the hill to the next right and turn. The Hinckley's marker is on the right. It is about 12-15 feet tall. It is easy to spot and next to the street. Also, the office has maps of the cemetery outside the east door. I hope you get to go back. The cemetery is so peaceful and beautiful. Have you seen the Christmas Box Angel? It is listed on the map, too.
Good luck!! (stefteller@hotmail.com)
I am Shirline's 'favorite' nephew!