Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday November 21st

Hello to all of you blog-watchers! I haven't been as diligent in writing in the last couple of days. Thanks to those who left comments, especially my #1 fan, who is my dad. It was a sacrifice for him to let my mom come out to help me and now I'm sending her back to be with her husband again for a while. Mom just left a few minutes ago, and Brenton just made an offhand comment "This is the best our house has looked in a while!" so I know he noticed what a great job Mom did around the house. Mom left plans for Brenton to make hamburgers for dinner, but he decided to make beef burritos instead. Even Jonny got in the cooking spirit, though he stayed home from school with a stomach ache. Jonny is making homemade vanilla ice cream in our ice cream maker.

We are all glad that it is the weekend and we hope to take our trailer out tomorrow night. Soon we'll have to winterize it, unless we take it somewhere warm over the Thanksgiving break. Physically, I am feeling better. I went to the pain doctor, Dr. Garner, yesterday and he helped me regulate the doses of my medicine. So far it is working well. I would like to get to the point in a week or two where I will be able to drive again. One of the hardest things about being sick is that I can't take care of my children. I am worried about my appointment with Dr. Shehadeh on Wednesday. When he tells me the results of my scan, he will either change my medication or keep it the same depending on the test results. Either way, I don't want to have chemotherapy on the day before Thanksgiving, so I am going to postpone any decisions for after the break.

I've been feeling kind of sad this week. Dr. Garner recommended I begin light therapy with a light box, since I often feel depressed in the winter. I can't afford one, but if anyone has one they are willing to let me use, I'd be grateful. I wish I had something more interesting to talk about, but I suppose I'll have some sort of news next week. I am looking forward to doing more things with my family, once I get feeling better again.
Emilee

P.S. I forgot to say that I am updating my wish list. Brenton is interested in getting some guitar lessons. Nathan is interested in playing soccer, perhaps for a team.

6 comments:

Glen and Bonnie said...

Dearest Emilee,

Although I'm excited to have my Sweetheart back, I do worry about my sweet little daughter. Knowing that her Mom was there to take care of her made me feel a lot better.

On the lighter side of things, they keep telling us to get in touch with our bodies. Mine isn’t all that communicative but I heard from it the other day after I said, “Body, how’d you like to go to the six o’clock class in vigorous toning?”
Clear as a bell my body said, “Listen fatty… do that and die!”

Also another way, I'm told, to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.

PLEASE take extra good care of my little girl EVERYONE - especially since her Mommy isn't there to do it for us.

Always LOVE from DAD

greg said...

A little doctor humor:

An Israeli doctor says, "Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can take a kidney out of one man, put it in another, and have him looking for work in six weeks."

A German doctor says, "That is nothing; we can take a lung out of one person, put it in another, and have him looking for work in four weeks."

A Russian doctor says, "In my country, medicine is so advanced that we can take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have them both looking for work in two weeks."

The Texas doctor, not to be outdone, says, "You guys are way behind, we recently took a man with no brains out of Texas, put him in the White House for eight years, and now half the country is looking for work."

Mark Newman said...

Hi sweet Emilee, so sorry for your pain...know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Much love, kath

Ann Marie said...

Hi Emilee.
Doesn't it feel good to have your house clean when you can't get it done yourself! When I was sick, it was so discouraging to have my house a wreak. My great husband had all he could do to work and look after me. A dear friend sent me a cleaning lady for me to hire who cleaned for me through my cancer and knee replacement. It was wonderful! It sounds like your cleaning needs would make a terrific Young Women project. They could help you and learn at the same time. I wish that I was there so I could check into it for you. Is there someone you could ask about it? It may sound trivial but your peace of mind is part of your process so anything that can help should be pursued.

Have you been listening to music? Just a tip: When I need a smile, I watch or listen to things that take me back in time. I love watching cartoons that I watched as a child or my kids enjoyed. Make sure that it's uplifting and happy. Have you seen "My Blue Heaven" with Steve Martin? Next time your Mom visits, I'll send my copy for you if you like. Also "Murder by Death". It's a little like Clue. Hang in there. You are doing great! One test, one treatment at a time.
Love, Ann Marie

Anonymous said...

Dear Emilee-I hope you're feeling Ok! I just wanted to write and tell you we are ALL pulling for YOU! I know it's tough to do, but a re-occuring thought that has been presenting itself to me is in Philippians chapter 4 verse 8-it reads: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things". I felt like these thoughts were for me, but I realized that they could help you, too. I'll stop for now, sleep well! Love, brother Bill Black

Anonymous said...

Emilee, Shirly A. suggested I write a comment in your blog.

I had breast cancer in 1992. It was terrifying, but I decided that I would do whatever it took to survive. I looked into a a lot of "alternative" solutions. They really turned out to be complimentary. While I was getting radiation therapy I was taking about 32 supplements a day. I was also doing visualizations that I read could help, meditated, and was exercising.

I read that changing your diet upped your chance of survival, so I read everything I could on cancer and diet. I found out that sugar can make cancer grow. Some people have said that they survived their cancer by cutting out all meat and diary products.

I incorporated as many things as I could into my daily living and eating. So far, so good.
Martha Hoff