Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday December 30th

I feel like my life is full of ups and downs. I was happy to go to a movie and dinner last night with our whole family and 3 more of the boys' friends (yes, one of them was a girl). The movie Marley and Me wasn't too exciting and fabulous, but it was sweet and had some very good messages about family and love. I cried at the end when they had to say goodbye to their beloved pet, but it did make me appreciate coming home to my own smaller yellow lab and cuddling her. I also was thankful that my Sandi is better behaved than the Marley in the movie. She got over her chewing fetish at the end of her puppy phase. Yesterday the children all had friends over to play until the afternoon, when I sent them home and tried to nap a bit. Even David had a load closing yesterday and has another one today, so that makes me grateful.

One of Nathan's chores this morning was to go get the mail (you have to walk 2 houses up the hill through the snow.) You can imagine that we had a lot of Christmas cards to read. Lately I've been feeling sentimental and I've been remembering the past Christmases we have had. I used to be one of those dedicated card senders that had a cute letter and beautiful photo to mail to my extended family and friends. That tradition has died away as I've been getting sicker every year. When I read the beautiful letters and photos that appeared in our mailbox, I couldn't help but mourn for a chance to lead a normal life again, instead of my constant ups and downs. I am letting myself cry about it and trying to realize that all of these beautiful families have their own trials and challenges. I am trying to remember the many blessings that I still receive and I know that Heavenly Father hasn't overlooked our family.

Even though I know my job is to get better and rest, I still feel like I should be doing so much more to teach my children and and watch over them. I have to trust in others that they will do this for me when I am too sick. I know there are ward members and extended family and friends who are helping to have a good influence on my boys, giving the big boys snow shoveling jobs to earn some money, or inviting Nathan to come and play at your house and giving him plenty of hugs and attention (just spare the treats, as he needs to fit in his clothes!) David really does take good care of me. He calls often during the day, picks up items at the store when needed, takes the boys on outings and helps put them to bed each night. Mostly at night is when I get a chance to lie down with one of my boys and hug them and talk to them. I'm grateful for those tender moments and that they don't feel too old to be tucked in by their mom.

It is normal for me to be emotional on the last day before my treatment. I first started chemotherapy in March of 2007 and have pretty much been going the whole time, except a 3 month break in the fall of 2007. I've had tests, treatments or doctors visits every month of 2008. I always have the hardest time keeping my spirits up in the winter. I am hoping to find a light box or lamp that I can use every day since there is not as much sunlight in the winter. I am also hoping to teach my boys how to prepare more meals, including making me some fruit and protein smoothies which are healthy and go down easily when I have nausea.

Well, I feel like I've gone on long enough today. We don't have any New Year's plans, except to eat our gingerbread house on New Year's Day. Brenton gets to go to a youth dance tonight. I can't believe he'll be 15 in only 6 weeks. Speaking of birthdays, mine is coming in 2 weeks and I'll be 37 and just a few years short of 40. Maybe after this next cycle of treatment I'll be up to going somewhere to celebrate my birthday. It helps me to look forward to happy things.

Emilee

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow as you get your next treatment. I'm just grateful that so far during these last few cycles of chemo that you've been able to endure them pretty well, as long as you take the medications faithfully and stay down! I thank the Lord for the newer medications for pain and nausea!

I've spent the last two days reading all our Christmas cards/letters. I'll bring many of them along with me for you to read/see when we next come. It's amazing how many people are enduring their own health trials of various sorts, plus other challenges. As you said, none of us are immune from these, only some are more apparent.

I've been laughing as I've been listening to the tapes of Dave as a 2-year-old, telling amazing stories of wolves and the like! Can you remember that? He was so funny!

Glad you were able to see the movie - finally - and that it made you appreciate your OWN sweet dog Sandi!

Hang in there!

Much love as always,

Mom

Glen and Bonnie said...

Dearest Emilee,
Don't worry too much about tomorrow.

Don't those words seem a little weird coming from your dad???

Well, it is good advice which I've been preaching to myself lately - and trying my best to follow it!

Here's part of a list about "Just for Today" that I recently found. I think these three might apply well to you and not just to me too.

"Just for today - I will live through the next 12 hours and not try to tackle all of life's problems at once.

"Just for today - I will save myself from two enemies - hurry and indecision.

"Just for today - I will believe in myself. I will give my best to the world and feel confident that the world will give its best to me."

Be realistic about your "best" remembering that absolutely every one of us has limitations which vary from day to day. Knowing you as I do, I fear that you may not want to recognize your best as being anything other than complete perfection, and most of the time it is just that. Nevertheless, please cut yourself a little slack and cheerfully allow the rest of us a chance to catch up by giving more of ourselves in service to YOU!

Always LOVE from DAD

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

Hi, Emilee--

I just had to say that I love checking in to see what you wrote on your blog--I get to read about once a week, and it's always uplifting (I'm sure you feel like you're complaining sometimes, but I wanted you to know I like the blog ANYWAY!). :)

Also, tell your fella that my grandparents, if he didn't already know, have moved! Less than two miles away, they're in a gorgeous retirement center now. :)

Keep your spirits up! You're doing fantastically!!!

Anonymous said...

Emilee, I know of a place in Orem that manufactures light boxes for therapy (it's in an industrial park) and I would like to pick one up for you, if you can wait for a few days. I know that I'm not famous for following through, but I hope to be able to do this for you. You're always in my thoughts Emilee.

LUV5KDZ said...

Hi, Emilee :) As always, you are in my heart and prayers today. I was checking around and Costco has a light for you. If you still need one that is something I would love to do for you.

I was reading another friend's post about her first bald day in her chemo journey. Merilee is so funny about things. If you want a great place to read and relax, I invite you to check out
http://deseretbook.com/time-out/forum/time-out/572231

But first, my friend Mary Ellen Edmunds (MEE) has some happy words of wisdom for us all.

http://deseretbook.com/time-out/blog

May Ho, Ho, Ho always remind of of hope and optimism! I love how she expounds on one of my favorite scriptures:

2 NEPHI 31:20 — Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

I love you Emilee, and I wish you the best as you face this next round of therapy.

Hugs to all,
Becky

Chrissie said...

Just wanting you to know that I'm thinking of you and just sent you an e-mail, although I think I sent it to 3 addresses before I got the right one! I hope I have the right e-mail address now. I wanted to call you but figured you were probably resting. We're boring tonight and watching Space Chimps. I'll call you soon!
Love, Chrissie