Thursday, January 1, 2009

January 1st, 2009

Happy New Year everyone! Even though it was my treatment day yesterday, the 31st, David took me out to dinner with the boys in the late afternoon so we avoided the huge dinner crowds. Then we stopped at a mall to pick out one of my Christmas presents: a pound of See's Chocolates. I think it is the first time I have ever ordered a pound of just my own favorites, so every piece was a real treat for me. You can always tell how well my stomach feels by whether I'm up to eating candy or not!

The meeting with Dr. Shehadeh went as expected. My bloodwork and tests appear to be stable and I am tolerating the treatments well. I haven't had to get a blood transfusion or take antibiotics for an infection. My pain is still mostly under control, though my liver is still hard and presses on my stomach, causing nausea. On Jan. 19th we scheduled a PET scan which should give the most recent indicator of my condition. After that, I'd love to take a few days and go off with David and the boys to celebrate my birthday. I'm having fun just thinking of a few places we could visit as soon as I start to feel better again.

Thank you, Becky and Laurie for the offer of a light box. Please bring or send one as soon as you can and I can even help you cover some of the cost. I want to start out the month being positive so I don't end up down in the dumps later on.

The boys have been playing video games and playing with friends the whole week long. I know they have enjoyed this break from school. Even Nathan has been invited over to several families where they fed him and played with him. This really makes me grateful.

Another surprise I had when I got up from my nap this afternoon. David and the boys had taken down the Christmas tree and put everything away in the basement, except a few wintery decorations that David wants to keep up. The living room is back to its usual configuration and the house looks clean and neat. I got to stay home and rest all day while David brought the kids over to my brother Dave's then he brought home dinner from his mom's house. I always feel well-remembered whenever I read this blog or listen to messages. It helps me to still feel connected to the world. A year ago, when we had to disconnect our cable for several months, I noticed a big difference because I felt isolated at home. Watching my new favorite travel shows is like bringing the whole world's culture right to my living room. I have had a greater thirst for knowledge lately, knowing that is one thing I can take with me when I pass on.

I put a new photo up at the bottom of this page on the blog. It was taken the Sunday before Christmas. Also, David opened my donation account with $1.00 to start with. I'll be using any of the donation money for Dr. and prescription co-pays, not to mention the insurance premiums themselves. You can call 1-800-USBanks and have them look up my name. Also the account number is on the right side of the screen on this blog.

I enjoy writing, as it is a good way for me to express myself and also to get feedback from others. Thanks for reading!
Emilee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emilee-

It was great to read your post today. . . The boys would love to invite Nathan over to play anytime.

One thing we like, is to go to http://www.hulu.com, and watch lots of TV shows for free. They also have many free movies as well, in high quality.

Have a great day!

-Greg and Melissa

LUV5KDZ said...

Hey, Emilee
I love your wig! How cool to be able to brush and style your hair from all around right in front of you and pop it into place :) You look great, and so do your handsome men.

I have been checking all day to see if you put up a new years post - I'm so glad you did.

Thank you for posting the link to your account so we can spread the word. I know there are so many here who would love to help out.

Love and best wishes to all of you - and a Ho, Ho, (Hope and Optimism) Happy New Year!

LUV5KDZ said...

Good NEWS!
Someone on KSL had the same therapy light I was going to get for you from Costco and it was only used for one season. She is delivering it to you today between errands around lunch (either before or after). I figured that was the fastest way to bring some sunshine into your life!

It sounds fabulous! She said you can even set it as an alarm clock and it wakes you up feeling sunny and warm :) I hope you like it!

Luv and sunshine to you, dear friend...

Anonymous said...

Dear Emilee and boys,
I finally got a minute to add your parents email to our list of contacts and pull up your blog. How fun. Someday when I get caught up cleaning house I want to learn to blog as well as you do. Brad and Andy are still on their missions to MS and NY. Chris is still happily married since June. If we work really hard at work we still have work for the installers, so far.
It took over 5 hours to clean the basement main room. It was my New Years Eve gift to myself. If I have to stay up I am going to get something done. Michael and Matt's friends bagged on them so Brandan and Gary went bowling with them as well as a neighbor and their girlfriends. Jack and Jill Lanes provides sub sandwiches and party hats and kazoos.
I have an abandoned bedroom and a downstairs laundry/food storage room to go. Then I can start painting and replacing carpet. In the eight years we have lived here with our six boys I have repainted the hall upstairs and that is it. Working alongside Gary for 16 years has left things quite bad. We end up very unorganized, discouraged and buying things we do not need.
You are constantly on my mind. My treatments are still working. I have an old side affect, from Arimedex, a tacky throat. After having croup a few weeks ago, I have a tacky throat. Post nasal drip sticks to it like when you have strep.
We hope to go to the temple tonight. We will put in a good work for you.
Love,
Erica