Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuesday December 16th

I haven't been out much lately, except to the chiropractor on Monday morning. I refilled my prescriptions at the same time and my mom went grocery shopping for me. It has been fun to have her do the cooking because she has more time and energy to create delicious meals, even ones that the children have rarely had because I don't cook them. One example was last night. We had pork chops with abples on top and sweet potatoes with a orange sauce. That was a little overwhelming for Nathan, as it was 2 new foods to try. I convinced him to eat the pork by taking off the apples and having him use barbecue sauce, but I didn't have much luck with the yams. Even David hasn't liked yams for years, but when he tried my mom's he actually liked them. How nice it is that we are having pleasant new food experiences in contrast to this show I like on the Travel Channel called Bizarre Foods. I get a big kick out of how many strange things this guy is willing to try in countries and cultures all over the world. Can you tell I've been watching a little too much tv?

I'm hoping to feel better by the weekend, as David and I celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary on Friday. How convenient that we have my mom here to babysit! Many times we'll go out without a sitter, but it is comforting to know that mom is there to watch over everything. I'm still looking forward to doing some Christmas shopping, as soon as I can go out. Right now, I've been doing a few small things, such as paying bills and writing cards and if I do any walking around, my stomach hurts and I have to lie down again. I guess the positive side of being sick after chemotherapy is the surety that just as I felt worse in the middle of the cycle, now I should continue getting a little better near the end of the 3 weeks (which is actually a week from tomorrow)

I asked Brenton last night to bring me the paper describing his musical composition project in his choir class. Not only had he missed turning in the rough draft, but he was already late on the final draft (which I found out later that the date had been postponed and now it's not late.) Still I was pretty mad at Brenton because he hasn't been writing his homework in his planner and he needs to take more accountability to do his homework or ask us for help, if necessary. I had the school counselor talk to him, but hopefully he'll turn around and start caring more about school. I always wonder how much my illness affects my children. Sometimes I blame myself for not teaching them to organize their homework or for not keeping track each day what needs to be done. Jonny is also learning the need for his planner, since he went from 6th grade into 7th which is now middle school and he has many classes and many different teachers.

Today has been pretty typical in which I take my pills in the morning and generally feel well, but my stomach gets worse at lunch and all the way into the evening, so I never feel like eating much dinner. Taking a nap in the afternoon also helps my stomach because I wake up feeling better.

That's about all I have to say today!
Emilee

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emilee,
Don't be hard on yourself about the boys not keeping up on their homework. You are a great mom and are very involved with your kids! They are lucky to have you. I think most kids are that way. I try and try to get my girls to write things down in their planner and they rarely do.

I hope you are feeling better each day. In the mean time, I would be happy to pick something up for you at the store anytime you need it. And if I don't talk to you before Friday, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

My dear Emilee,
Good evening my dear. I so miss having you here or me there... but it is so nice to be able to catch up on your life through your blog. What a blessing it is to have this site. I wish we had something like this when I was sick. It would have made my mom's job so much easier.. and the phone bills alot less also.
Thank you for sharing your blessing experience with us. What a great gift to have one of the Lord's chosen in your home to bless you and your family.
I miss you, I love you and I pray that you will be able to bear all that the Lord has in store for you. You and your family are in my daily prayers. The children have a hard time with this.... mine sure did... they feel helpless. Just make sure that they know how much you love them as I am sure they already know.
If I don't talk to you before... have a WONDERFUL anniversary!
Tell your mom I said hello.
Love Julie (Fisher- Sommerville- Chesley)

Glen and Bonnie said...

Dearest Emilee,

Although I miss having your Mother here, I'm doing OK and, most of all, I'm happy that she's taking good care of my little girl! It seems she's doing pretty well at taking care of the rest of your family too.

Meanwhile, I doubt seriously that your illness is affecting your boys as much as you worry that it might. Truly they are very concerned about you but their school performance and other behavior are VERY typical of kids. Although we parents can have a limited impact on our kids, in reality they are who they are, and we can't claim much credit one way or the other. After all, just look at yourself! What part of your angelic goodness can we as your parents claim? You are just our angel Emilee! The most that we can claim is the fact that we pretty much stood aside and let you be the paragon of sweetness, the pillar of courage, the pyramid of kindness that you ARE!

Just ALWAYS remember that we LOVE and APPRECIATE you - and thank our Heavenly Father for sending you to us!

Always LOVE from DAD

Anonymous said...

Emilee!

It's Dianna, your former neighbor in Stockton, just two houses down from your parents. The boys and I had since moved to Sacramento in 1995 and the rest, as they say, is history. :0)

Speaking of which, do you remember when you used to babysit Matthew and Michael and play the most beautiful music for them on our piano? I don't think I've ever thanked you enough. You were the best babysitter...and presently the best person. There's not a more competent, cute, and sweet person on the planet!

Emilee, I am so sorry for everthing you're going through. Please know that I am thinking of you...and that you are in my heart.

-- Your former neighbor but full-time cheerleader, Dianna

Anonymous said...

hey emilee, this is Chloe one of Jonathans friends i really hope you get better and i am praying for you
sincerly chloe
p.s. get better:)

Anonymous said...

Hi mom its jonny I am at school HHHIIIII!!!!!

Mark Newman said...

Hi Emilee...thinking of you today and sending you lots of xoxo's from New York! Missing you---have a wonderful rest of the week, say hi to Aunt Bonnie and have a great anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! I just wanted to let you know that it becomes difficult as the kids get older to get organized. I know I am struggling with my 13 year old, and trying to get in her head the importance of organization and following through. "I forgot...." has become a common phrase around here. I know how frustrating it is, but I also know that as parents, we have to learn to let them fail occasionally. Sometimes the consequences are enough to get them moving in the right direction again. I also think it is a part of growing up, a phase if you will. Not a fun phase, but patience is difficult trying to get through it! You are an AMAZING Mother Emilee. Your kids love you, and know that you are doing your very best. HUGS!!!!
Christi

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I read that wrong. I thought your anniversary was LAST Friday. Duh! Happy Anniversary THIS Friday!!:)

Anonymous said...

Happyyyyyy Anniversaryyyyyyy Friday
Paul S. in the Tall Grass Prairie

Anonymous said...

Hello Emilee
I think I hear something? Can you hear that sound? Know I really hear something. Ah, now I know what it is. I think you can hear it now. Oh yes, that's an ice cream truck. It's the Licking Good Ice Cream Truck. You don't even need to go down stairs to get your ice cream, because I had the ice cream man put a ladder in his truck today. If you close your eyes you can visualize the ice cream man climbing the ladder up to your window and handing you your egg nog and pepperment ice cream cone. I'm having raspberry marble with extra creamy vanilla on top. "WOW" does that ever feel terrific going down. I can hardly stop lickingggggggggggggg. Your ice cream cone is made with a very new special development and your ice cream will stay cold and will not melt. You can reach over and take a lick anytime you want, (Grin)(Smile)(Lick). Did you see the little flag put in with a small tooth pick on the top scoop, that says, "Happpppppy Anniversaryyyyyy".
Paul Sorenson
In the Tall Grass Prairie

Matt and Maggie said...

Emilee,
Have a very merry Christmas. I hope you will feel great to enjoy it and to see the boys enjoy it. I've got some pictures I'd love for you to see when and if you have the time. Our blog is mnmhoveyfamily.blogspot.com