Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thursday December 18th

Happy 39th anniversary to my parents! Meanwhile, thank you to everyone who wished me a happy anniversary tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting out and spending some time with my husband. It is hard to be romantic very often as we are all distracted by the children and work and being busy each day.

Also, I appreciate how many of you reassured me about being a good parent. I was extremely self motivated as a child and I also felt pressure to get the best grades in school, and to get ahead. As a parent, I have to realize that my boys are smart, but not necessary as motivated about grades or as skilled as I was in certain areas. I should be grateful that they all work hard when they are at school and they have good behavior, even though their homework is not always done. I am the sort of personality where I feel guilty if I do and guilty if I don't, so I have to reassure myself that we are all just doing the best we can and I can't worry about things I can't fix.

Also, after reading the comments lately, I feel humbled by the love and encouragement from my friends and family and acquaintances who are praying for me and following my story. I enjoyed having my Aunt Linda and cousin Chrissie over for lunch today. They brought me hugs and gifts and I felt grateful for their love. The area under our Christmas tree was empty until last night when Len and Elaine came by and brought us dinner and some presents as well. We've received several gifts from family members which we have put under the tree and look forward to opening in just one week.

Yesterday I took my last Xeloda pill, so I am feeling slightly better today. I don't have to go back in for chemo until December 31st. What a way to start the new year, right? Meanwhile, I am trying to put thoughts of illness out of my mind and concentrate on my family and enjoying the holiday. By the way, thanks to my neighbor who shovelled our driveway yesterday! Tonight our home teacher is coming to fix the deadbolt on our front door.

I recorded an episode of America's Funniest Videos the other day and we watched it tonight with the kids. It was fun just to have something to laugh about. So here's the challenge: If any of you have some funny videos or dvds, it would cheer me up to watch them. My friend Janet lent me the first season of the I Love Lucy show. I watched it during the 3 days we were up at family camp in July and I rarely stepped out of the trailer because I felt so sick all day. Watching the dvd was a blessing for me to keep my spirits up.

David and I are going out to celebrate our anniversary for the weekend, but I'll try to get in a post or two while we are gone. Happy holidays, everyone.
Emilee

5 comments:

Sugarlene said...

Hello Emilee,
It's been awhile since we talked. I enjoy reading your blog, and I'm so glad that you have so many people who love and support you through this difficult trial. Please know how you are touching and blessing other's lives too. It works both ways! What a blessing that is for everyone! We've been occupied with one of our sons getting married last week in the SL Temple. Now all 6 of my children are here for Christmas. Three of our grand babies are here. We just had #9 yesterday! I want to come see you before Christmas, so I will call and see when a good time is. Have a wonderful weekend. And Happy Anniversary!
LOVE, SHIRLINE

Jenn K said...

Happy Anniversary!!! It feels like yesterday when you guys got married. I can't believe it has been 16 years. You both look as young as ever. Have a wonderful Xeloda free weekend! -Jennie

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee! I was just about to turn in for the night when I glanced down aand saw my little booklet of Healing Psalms and started to read a little-here is one for You!

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the knowledge of things unseen (Hebrews 11:1). Faith is an eternal power that moves us beyond mere hope into an inner sense of knowing.
Belief in a higher power strengthens and empowers us. Faith in God can literally move mountains. And only "the fool hath said in his heart there is no God" (Psalms 14:1
With faith, we gain supernatural strength, acquire unbeatable courage, expand our expectations, enlarge our hopes and experience peace, love and joy. We look for the good in every situation and move through obstacles that might ordinarily deter us from our goals.
Faith causes words like incurable, hopeless and impossible to disappear from our vocabulary. It causes us to affirm that "With God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26)
When we are bewildered, overwhelmed and searching for ways to make sense out of life, trust in God is crucial. With faith, we overcome doubt, gain confidense and elevate ambition. We dare to conceive, dare to believe and dare to acheive. Faith invites us to step out, take wing and fly.

I hope this uplifts You Emilee-I think it is meant for You! Have a Good Night! Love, Bill Black

Christine said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember seeing you two on one of your first dates up at BYU:) Hope you can have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee.
Happy Anniversary! All of you BYU people with December anniversaries! We have a family of them.I do hope you were able to celebrate just the two of you. Aren't Mom babysitters the best!
I know it's so difficult to separate normal problems with our kids and those that are a result of an illness in the family. From what I have learned, your boys are doing great! They are engaged with you and the family and stay close to you. The school stuff is normal and could get worse before it gets better. You are doing exactly the correct thing. You remind them when you can and stay involved. The task is ultimately theirs.You could make it their job to give you evidence of a task accomplished and possibly earn a reward such as a movie or treat. As a high school teacher, I find reading "Zits" in the comics everyday helps me keep my sense of humor. Do you get it in your paper? It's about a 15-year-old boy and his parents, school and friends.
I'm so glad that you had such a spiritual experience on Sunday. Thank you for sharing it as it helped me too. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily. Keep up the good fight.
Love, Ann Marie