Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wednesday December 3rd

Today I am grateful that I was able to attend Brenton's choir concert last night and Jonny's band concert tonight. I was proud to see them on stage and they did a great job and are growing into such talented teen agers. Another miracle occured yesterday when I realized we were almost out of toilet paper and my cousin Chrissie asked if she could pick something up from Costo while she was there. How did she know to call me when she did? She even helped me get some more new school pants for Nathan, since he recently outgrew the ones he had. Elaine took me to Salt Lake for my treatment today. When we were almost there, the office called to say that they were waiting for the medication to be delivered via Fed Ex and I should come an hour later. To pass the time, I had Elaine drive up past some of the homes in the avenues and the Federal Heights area. Elaine sat with me the whole 4 hours while the chemo drug dripped through my port, even though I fell asleep and had a nap for half the time. She was cheerful and talkative and I feel so grateful to have her as my mother-in-law. She treats me so well.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the pain Dr. and I only had to call 2 people before I found one willing to drive me. I found out yesterday that the school (Lincoln Academy where I worked part time last year) has been having a fund raiser to earn money to help with my deductibles and out of pocket medical expenses. I feel that even though I have tremendous challenges, the Lord is sending people to help lighten my burden, even through my Dad's encouraging posts and the post from Amadee which reminded me of Viktor Frankl's book that I have read some of and need to get back to reading the rest. Even today, as our neighbor brought a delicious dinner for our family, she also lent us that brand new dvd which is a dramatization of Gordon B. Hinckley's life. Before we watched the video, the boys brought up the Christmas tree and we set it up and put the lights on. This is because several ladies in the Relief Society are coming on Friday to help me with my Christmas decorating. Watching 30 minutes about President Hinckley was a spiritual way to end our day, so I am feeling very grateful right now. I'm feeling more positive about the future and I feel the effects of so many prayers of loved ones around me.

Today I thank the Lord that I have so many friends and family members who love and support me and help buoy my spirits when am frustrated or down. Number one is my husband who gets up and helps the children get ready each day for school so I can sleep in. He calls me often to make sure I'm doing all right and he likes to talk to me about his work and some of the successes that he has there. He helps encourage the boys to do more chores so they can learn to do much of the housework. He also takes the boys on outings and encourages them in their advancement in the boy scout program. I feel like my illness has really given David a chance to shine in our family, as I used to do a lot of the things for the children that David is learning to do. David even helps me in and out of the car each time we go out together, so I hope he passes that politeness down to our boys.

Well, I think I've done enough reminiscing tonight. Until next time...
Emilee

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely post and I am so happy for you that you had a good day.

Christine said...

It's nice to hear the wonderful support that you're getting from those around you. It's comforting to those of us who are too far away to help with practical things.

I think it's a great thing to recognize the Lords blessings in our lives. I know there are many times I need to do more of it myself. Thanks for sharing.

Hope you have a great day!

Glen and Bonnie said...

Dearest Emilee,

Hmmm. Your VERY inspiring mention of things you appreciate seems like a perfect way to get good benefits from being grateful. Did you see my comments to your blog on Nov. 28th? I got that information from my UC Davis Alumni magazine. Cool stuff, right?

Here's a widely known story that is VERY true about nurturing the bright side of our lives:

An elder Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, “A fight is going on inside me…It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves.
One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride and superiority. The other wolf stands for joy, peace, love, HOPE, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and FAITH. This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too.”

They thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, “Which wolf
will win?” The old Cherokee simply replied…“The one I feed."

Do continue to keep up your careful diet of what you "feed" both your body and soul! We want the GOOD wolf to win! And I'm sure Sandi wants that too! Keep enjoying her warmth & goodness.

Always LOVE from DAD

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that I think it's so great that Lincoln Academy is going to hold a fundraiser for you! I hope it turns out really well!

Unknown said...

Dear Dollin' Dotter,

I wrote on here early this morning, but for some reason it didn't send! Now I can't remember what I wrote...sigh...old age coming on? It wasn't as good as Dad's comment, however!

You DO have so many things to be grateful for, especially for the good people around you who CARE and show their love in so many ways. Thanks for counting your blessings.

Thanks so very much to your "other mother Elaine" for her love and service to you, for taking over for me when I can't be there. But I'm coming soon to do my part too! We always enjoy it when we're both there together to confuse the kids when they say, "Grandma," and we both answer!

I'm grateful also for your neighbors/R.S. sisters for helping you with your Christmas decorations, though I would have enjoyed doing that too. But I do have some ideas for "Christmas Fun" to do with your family when I get there.

I just wanted to let you know that so many people ask about you and always say, "Tell Emilee we're praying for her!" - even people who don't even know you!

Many people read your blog daily, so when for some reason you don't have an entry for a day or two they worry that you're feeling too bad to write. It's always a relief to hear that you're doing OK, and even get out to enjoy things such as the boys' concerts. Wish I'd been there too.

Hang in there, sweetie!

Oodles of Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee! I'm so glad to read you got to go to your boys' concerts and you were so proud of them. I'm sure if they follow in the "Dolberg tradition" that they are really talented young men! I'm also happy your Mom is coming to visit and help out. I (and everone else here) really miss her when she's gone but I can imagine the peace and comfort she brings to you. I'm hoping and praying this round of chemo will go okay. I was very touched by your expressions of gratitude. You are an inspiration to me. Kari Andal

Anonymous said...

Hi Emi: I enjoyed reading your most recent blog. You sounded so optimistic and found things to make you cheerful. I told your mom that I was having problems with my knee which makes my mobility difficult but I'm starting physical therapy tomorrow so hopefully I can be a little more helpful -- I'll call you next week and see if I can do some shopping for you. Loves, Linda

Anonymous said...

I don't get here often to read your posts, but so good to hear your postivie attitude about things. You are very brave and courageous.

Melissa Rawlins

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilee
I am your second cousin Tim. Your dad has been keeping us posted on how you are doing. My wife Vicki and I want to let you know that we think of you often and you are in our prayers. I replied to an e-mail that your dad sent to us yesterday and told him that we know that miracles DO happen. Some small, some big, but all uplifting.
We live in Nebraska, in the area that your dad grew up. When your Mom and Dad came out two summers ago we had such a good time with them...we realized that it is really a shame that people that love each other are sometimes so far apart. We are so thankful for the internet that we will be able to keep in touch with you and other family members.
Sorry this is kind of long winded but that is a Dolberg trait!! :) lol
In geography we are miles apart but in love we are inches away.
All our Love
Tim and Vicki Dolberg