Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday December 5th

Happy Birthday to my dad today. I'll get to hug him in person when he arrives tomorrow. So far, I've been feeling pretty well since my treatment on Wednesday. I just have some fatigue and nausea. My medicine makes me sleepy, so sometimes I'll sit down to read and find myself dozing off. My Relief Society president drove me to the pain management Dr. yesterday and that was helpful, to be able to regulate my medication.

Today I felt about the same. In the morning, the Stake Relief Society presidency came by to help me decorate our house for Christmas. My kids had already put up the tree and hung the ornaments the night before, so the ladies hung garlands and wreaths and set up my nativity and other decorations. They even brought music and chocolate. Marlene Black, the president, brought me a pan of cake and a pan of cornbread and returned later in the afternoon with a pot of stew for our dinner. In addition, today we recieved the proceeds of a fundraiser held at Lincoln Academy in my honor. Mrs. Parker brought over the many coins and bills that people donated and it touched my heart to be remembered in this way. I will now be able to pay off the oncologist's bill that has been gathering interest all year long. It is a blessing when I don't have to worry about finances, in addition to the stress of my illness.

Just like my last post, I feel much gratitude in my heart and I also am starting to feel more hope and less fear. I know that I'll be feeling worse over the next week or so, but I believe I can tolerate my side effects better when I have a happier outlook and a lot of encouragement from my support system, those nearby and those farther away. In addition, our family watched the new dramatization of President Hinckley's life, over the past 2 evenings. Our neighbors lent us the movie and it brought a good spirit into our home.

May you also have the blessings of the Holy Spirit in your home, during this season of Christmas.
Emilee

5 comments:

Glen and Bonnie said...

Well! Now that Emilee has announced that I'm getting OLDER! [Hmmm. Thanks, Emilee!] - Here is my current on-going prayer:

Lord, Thou knowest that I am growing older.
Keep me from becoming too talkative, and particularly keep me from falling into the tiresome habit of expressing an opinion on every subject.
Release me from the craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details. Give me wings to get to the point. (Hmmm. Maybe that part of the prayer will take a little longer to get answered in my case - what d'ya say?)
Give me grace, dear Lord, to listen to others describe their aches and pains. Help me endure the boredom with patience and keep my lips sealed, for my own aches and pains are increasing in number and intensity, and the pleasure of discussing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
Teach me the glorious lesson that, occasionally, I might be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. I do not wish to be a saint (saints are so hard to live with), but a sour old cuss is the work of the devil.
Make me thoughtful, but not moody; helpful, but not pushy; independent, yet able to accept with graciousness favors that others wish to bestow on me.
Free me of the notion that simply because I have lived a long time, I am wiser than those who have not lived so long.
If I do not approve of some of the changes that have taken place in recent years, give me the wisdom to keep my mouth SHUT!
Lord, Thou knowest that when the end comes, I would like to have a friend or two left.

Sorry it was so long, but you now can see why I need to pray more fervently that the Good Lord hears me!

Always LOVE from DAD

P.S. Sure glad so many people are helping my angel daughter. THANKS!!!!

LUV5KDZ said...

Well, another note to you bites the dust because I forgot my password! I guess I should write more often.

I am glad you have enjoyed some fun and special times with the boys and your sweet husband during your break between treatments.

I am so thankful you were blessed with the donation to help with your medical bills. I love to see you blessed through the loving service of others. I know they too are blessed for being the hands of the Lord in your life. It is always wonderful to be part of someone else's miracle.

Happy Birthday Glen! You will never be taken for a sour old cuss. Emilee's sparkling personality and love for everyone is a reflection of the good example set by her parents.

I have a request for Emilee, can you please do a post on the best things you have found to counter the side affects of chemo? I have another friend just getting ready to start her first treatments before Christmas. She is an angel too. I love the example you both set by facing adversity with joy and love. I hope we can all learn to do the same.

All my love, and hope, and special prayers to you and your family, Emilee...and all of my thanks and gratitude to your friends who are there with you.

Love,
Rebecca

Jenn K said...

How wonderful of the school students, parents, and teachers. What a releif for your family. Such a nice early Christmas present.

LUV5KDZ said...

Hey, Emilee!

Guess what I did today in remembrance of a special moment with you?

I placed pointsettias in my Christmas tree - just like we decorated your wedding.

These have been part of my Christmas decorating for a couple of years now, but always remembering that day. I am glad you two are still enjoying happily ever after.

Life sure does have it's up and downs, but the sweetest part is facing them with an eternal companion. You two do such a good job of teaching your children love, honor and charity in marriage. They will be wonderful husbands one day too!

Thanks for the memories. Jessica was barely walking back then...so you guys must be enjoying 16 years together this month. WHAT A JOURNEY!

greg said...

It is so nice that you have your father to visit with, of course he is older now, but until March of next year he is a LOT older than me, then we almost catch up, ha Glen. Give him a pinch to grow on from me, his only cousin on the Giovanini side, and a hug to you and all of yours from your second cousin. PS, I am emailing pics from T Day to your dad, get him to share.