Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday January 12th

Yesterday morning, David woke me briefly at 8 AM and asked if I wanted to get up for church. I told him no and went back to sleep. The next thing I heard were kids coming in the front door. I wondered "Why aren't the kids at church?" I looked at the clock and it said 12 :15. I can't believe I slept so long without waking up. The hometeacher came over to bring me the sacrament after church. David attended a board of review for Jonny to get his Life scout award. Now Jonny only needs to wait 6 months before he is eligible to become an eagle scout. Brenton needs to watch out, as his brother might beat him to it! Also on Sunday we received the gift of a large family photo, the same photo that is at the top of this blog. It must be 16 by 24 at least, and it has a beautiful wood frame. David said the priests in our ward made the frame themselves, putting it together and staining it a nice walnut brown. We put it on the wall facing the door as you are going upstairs.

The rest of Sunday I felt tired and a little lightheaded. I have only a few more days to take the Xeloda pills, but I haven't had as much nausea as before, or else I am just better at managing the medication. I woke up this morning feeling the same way. I got out of breath just climbing up the stairs and I was ready to take a nap an hour after I woke up. I called the oncologist's office and they ordered a blood test. Jennie came over today, so she drove me over the AF hospital for the test. No one called me this afternoon from the doctor's office (if they did, it could have been during the 3 hours I was taking a nap!) I'm doing a little better this evening after my nap in the afternoon. While here, Jennie made some potato corn chowder from a recipe I gave her. It was nice to wake up from my nap at 5:30 and have something to eat. The rest of the family ate around 6:30 when David got home.

Tomorrow I hope to hear from the Dr. if I need a shot or maybe a blood transfusion. Maybe I just need extra rest to build up my blood cells again. I reserved some flights for our family to visit San Diego at the end of the month. I am also in the process of renting a 2 bedroom cottage near the beach. We plan to take the kids out of school and visit places like Sea World, the zoo, Legoland, etc. I should be feeling even better by then, so I can enjoy myself. I'll make an appointment to visit the oncologist as soon as we're back, then I'll find out my test results and what treatment he recommends.

I've been using my little light box every day or so. I am still in good spirits, even though it is the middle of winter. I am grateful for that. I'm also grateful that I haven't had to be hospitalized and I haven't had to fight an infection. I feel very blessed. Ward members continue to remember us and drop by homemade bread, dvds and things like that. Thanks to everyone!
Emilee

5 comments:

LUV5KDZ said...

Good morning Emilee,
San Diego is warm and beautiful. My friend who is just starting her cancer journey is in Poway. She is doing great. As many times as we have been there, we haven't done Lego Land, but we always want to. The Zoo and SeaWorld are great though. The beach is probably not warm enough to swim yet...but you might be lucky. If your parents are going, I can send down some wet suits and skim boards for David and the boys. The water is warmer than San Francisco...but nothing like the Caribbean. We love to eat at Pat and Oscars when we are down there - I can tell you more later.

I can't wait to tell Benjamin about Johnny's scouts. He and Brenton had better get their projects underway! The best Eagle Court of Honor we went to was one where two brothers were receiving the award together. Bradley is also a Life scout, so that is what I want to do...but then we both have a third son who is no where ready to think about an Eagle court, so we have many years of scouting left. So fun for them. By the way, how did Johnny's snow cave go? UGH! I would NEVER volunteer to sleep in the snow!

I am so glad to know the light is working for you. That is great. It is wonderful the way the Lord opens doors to bless us.

I hope you will share all your vacation plans and fun. I have missed the beach since February of last year!

Jenn K said...

I was telling Ryan about the beautiful family picture and frame. Those priests should be in business. :-) Hope your energy picks up ASAP.

Glen and Bonnie said...

Dearest Emilee,

Since I know you enjoy your dog's friendship a lot, I thought I'd share a bit of advice from her perspective - i.e. a dog's advice for life:

- Never pass on the chance to take a joy ride.
- When your loved ones get home, greet them with enthusiasm.
- Sometimes it’s in your best interest to be obedient.
- Carve out your niche — and let others know when they’ve invaded your space.
- Find time to run, romp, and play each day (if you can).
- Eat with gusto - even if it's only a tidbit!
- Be loyal.
- Take frequent naps — and stretch before rising.
- Don’t bite when a growl will do.
- When someone’s having a bad day, stay close, be quiet,and nuzzle them now and then.
- When it’s hot, drink a lot of water and stay in the shade.
- Take pleasure in long walks and long naps.
- Don’t take scoldings personally — and don’t hold grudges.
- If what you’re looking for is buried, dig until you find it.
- When you’re happy, dance around.

REMEMBER: We LOVE you LOTS!

Always LOVE from DAD

Anonymous said...

Emilee, Susan Dalberg here. Just keep looking ahead, not behind; that will help the blues a lot! You have already outlived the projections, which means God is not done with you yet! You are so good in being specific about your needs and knowing that when you do, they will be answered. It takes some of us a long time to work up the nerve to do that.

You look cute in your wig. I detested mine--don't know how many car wrecks I caused yanking it off in traffic :) Love and prayers!

Christine said...

Emilee,

Let me know when you are down. I have one free Legoland ticket from when I went with Joel and Virginia. It should help at least a little.

Hope the trip all works out.