Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday, January 25th

It is a snowy weekend here in Utah. We welcome the moisture, though, as our air quality has been bad, due to the inversion. The storm clears the air and makes things fresh again. I haven't felt quite as well as I hoped to this week. Still, I was able to take the kids to the store on Friday afternoon. I ride the electric carts around to save energy. I also went visiting teaching that morning, which I haven't done in a couple of months.
Yesterday was quite fun. In the morning, the children all did homework and some chores. In the afternoon, a friend of our family, Ben Fisher, brought his wife Bethany and daughter Maddy over to give the big boys a cooking lesson and prepare some meals for our family. Ben and I grew up in the same ward in Stockton, and I also know his older sister fairly well. She is also a cancer survivor and used to live in Utah for a while, too.
Bethany is a chef, having graduated from Western Culinary Institute and she had the boys laughing and working downstairs for several hours. I was resting upstairs most of the time, but I came down to say goodbye and sit down to a delicious dinner, all waiting for me at the table. Ben and Bethany taught the boys how to make lasagna, also macaroni and cheese, and meatballs and they stored those dishes in our deep freezer for use on another day. Then, they made coleslaw, potatoes and beef barbecue ribs for our dinner. It was such a treat! The ribs were the best I've tasted, definitely restaurant quality. The boys were thrilled with their accomplishment and we had plenty of leftovers for our lunch after church today.
I tried to go to bed a little early, so I would be sure to have energy for church this morning. David woke me at about 8:20 and I got up and got dressed. I brought along some crackers, a water bottle and some gummi bears. Even though I had some nausea, it got better as I sat in the church meetings, using my snacks to help calm my stomach every half hour or so. I think I said last time that I think my liver is affecting my digestion, so I will probably ask Dr. Garner about that when I see him this week.
I was glad to make it to all 3 hours of church. I was able to have a nap this afternoon and now David and the boys are playing games while I write this. My goal this week is to have the children work on some of their assignments in advance and catch up with their schoolwork. Since I've felt a bit better, I've been overseeing their homework and chores each afternoon and I'm pleased with their progress.
Thanks, Dad, for your cute story. I am getting more comfortable with my hairless situation. The kids have only seen my bald head by accicent a couple of times, when my hat fell off. I actually let David see me bald and he wasn't a bit bothered by it. If I feel up to it, I'd love to have some ladies in the ward over for lunch this week. I want to have a book/magazine swap where we all bring our old reading material and swap it for something new. It would be a potluck and I already have food in my freezer to heat up and serve.
Have a good week!
Emilee

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful "gift" from Benjamin and his family! Hopefully they left the recipes too to share with the rest of us!

What wonderful things you have planned for this coming week. Wish I were in your ward to enjoy the luncheon too. Of course, we have a similar thing in our ward - our book club luncheons. Get some good books for me to read too!

Glad things are going well for you and the boys, and that you have the energy to work with them. Give them all hugs from their g'ma!

LOVE YOU ALL! Mom

Steven Rudolph said...

I am a friend of the Ellis family from California and long ago. I have been reading your posts for a couple of weeks now and I am really inspired by your posts. I forget the joy of the simple things in life, and you are helping me remember to find those simple joys in life. Thank You

Benjamin said...

We had so much fun with your family. The boys were great. Maddy had a blast with Nathan. Your Boys are very intelligent and have many talents it has a pleasure to teach them. We would love to do it again. If ever you want some time with David just call and we will come get the boys. They can come play the Wii and watch movies. We would love to have them.

Benjamin

HollySomm said...

Hi Emilee. I'm not sure if you remember me. It's Holly. Julie's daughter. My mom gave me your blog address and I've been reading it from time to time. I miss you! I hope I can come visit sometime. I actually live in Orem right now. If you need anything or you are up for a visit. You can email me. I love you!
jewellsomm@gmail.com
Holly

greg said...

See if you can pass this test:Subject: The Bathtub Test



During a recent visit to mental asylum, I asked the Director how does he
determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the Director, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon,
a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the
bathtub

"Oh, I understand," I said. "A normal person would use the bucket because
its bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No," said the Director, "A normal person would pull the
plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"

ARE YOU GOING TO PASS THIS ON, OR DO YOU WANT THE BED NEXT TO MINE?