Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thursday January 5th

Hello Everyone! I took a vacation from writing my blog because...I was on vacation! We took the family down to San Diego for a few days and enjoyed the sun and activities. Before the trip, I had finished a round of chemotherapy and then had a PET scan to see if the treatments had reduced the tumors or if they had grown. The results were in before we left on our trip, so I called to schedule an appointment with my oncologist for after our trip. The staff needed to know if they needed to schedule time for a chemo treatment or just a consultation, so they told me they would consult the Dr. and call me back. Dr. Shehadeh himself called back and confirmed that yes, the tumors had grown since the last scan and I would be starting a new drug and a new round of chemotherapy when I returned.
With that in mind, I was extra grateful to be able to travel with David and the children before starting the new drug and treatment schedule. We stayed in a cute 2 bedroom cottage just 2 blocks from the beach. We went to Sea World, Legoland and the Wild Animal Park. We also took a bus to Tijuana. Now the kids can say they have been to Mexico! My favorite activity of the trip was our 3 hour whale watching cruise. We got to see grey whales and we followed them in the boat, as this is the time of year that they migrate to the Baha peninsula to give birth to their young. We also saw a sea lion and several black and white dolphins. We got an extra bonus, as we approached a dive boat and saw an adolescent grey whale playing nearby. Our ship stopped the motor and we saw the whale as e came around to the dive boat and rolled and waved his fin at them. He swam around with a dolphin nearby. When he moved to the other side of the boat, we followed around in ours and the whale came near us and did the same roll and wave of his fin. We could see the little white limpets on his usually grey skin. Another whale watching boat came over to watch from a distance. When we returned to the harbor, the naturalist on board told us not to mention our bonus to the people in line for the next boat, as it is rare that a whale will stay in one place that long.
We got the boys shovels and they had fun at the beach, digging piles of sand and watching the tide come in and wash them away. We also drove to a place with some tide pools and the kids found sea anemone, sea snails, hermit crabs and little black crabs. We made our own breakfast and lunches then ate out a few times at nice restaurants for dinner, ordering seafood, of course!
One morning, the kids had been playing at the beach and David came back to see if I wanted to go down and join them for a while and look at their "creations." I decided to take off my hat and go out to get some sun on my bald head. I did put on sunscreen first, and I wore my sunglasses so I could go incognito. David carried some beach chairs from the cottage and I brought a book to read. It felt quite liberating to go out in public with a bald head. It was a big step for me, but gradually I am becoming comfortable with the fact that I have no hair.
When we got home, I had my oncologist visit the next day. Elaine drove me up and David was also there for the doctor visit. He explained the same thing as he said on the phone, that the tumors were growing again and we needed to change medication. He gave me some instructions and a short exam, then I moved on to the chemo room. The new drug, Doxil, doesn't take quite as long as my old medicine, but they had to drip it slower than usual for the first dose, to make sure I don't have a bad reaction or anything. Elaine and I chatted most of the time. She has been having some health issues and has not received a clear diagnosis yet. She called me today and mentioned that her doctor recommended surgery, so it looks like her problems aren't over yet. At least she can have a degree of empathy for me and all the pokes and procedures I've had over the years.
Today is the day after my treatment and I haven't had any side effects yet, just fatigue, so I took a 2 hour nap before the boys got home from school. My parents are coming this weekend, so I am looking forward to seeing them. Thanks, everyone for your prayers and service to our family. I promise to write more often, now that we are home. I just didn't want everyone on the internet to know that my house was empty for 5 days. Bye for now,
Emilee

5 comments:

Glen and Bonnie said...

Hi to our VERY MOST FAVORITE daughter!

We are so very glad that you now have some super recent memories to savor while you get more confined because of your treatments.

We look forward to being there a few days with you.

Always LOVE, LOVE, LOVE from your DAD

HollySomm said...

Emilee! I'm so happy that you got to spend such a great SUNNY time with your family. The sun just makes everything better doesn't it? Haha, I love you! I hope to be able to visit soon.

Danese said...

Hi Emilee,

I enjoyed reading about your recent trip to San Diego and whale watching excursion. It sounds like everyone had a fun time (and much needed break from cold and snow). Sorry to hear that you have another round of treatments coming up but it's good news that your doctor is looking at all of your treatment options. We love you and appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences, thoughts and feelings on the blog.

You're always in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Danese

LUV5KDZ said...

Your vacation sounds GREAT! What fun :) We had a similar wale watching experience in Moss Landing last year...but we didn't have dolphins etc, just a very friendly whale rolling all around the boat for a long time. Our previous trip we saw NOTHING up close...but our kids love the water.

I am sorry we missed the opportunity to connect while I was on my way home from UT. You were still enjoying the beach when I flew in. O, how I love your mountains! Utah is so beautiful with a blanket of snow.

I put your names in the temple again last night when I got home. It was so funny. Over 300 people showed up for the 7:00 session in Oakland. I have never seen it so packed. It was wonderful.

You didn't mention going to San Diego Temple while you were there. Did you miss it? That will be a fun thing to plan to do when you have another good spell and time with David.

I plan to see you when I am back in town in June...I hope you have a feel good break to look forward to wile I am there. I would love to take you out.

I pray this new medicine is a good fighter for you! It will be wonderful for you to have your parents there again too.

Anonymous said...

Hello again from across the pond,
Your holiday sounded lovely. We are actually experiencing snow in Northern Ireland for the first time in ages. The UK has actually ground to a halt because of it. We are a bit more used to rain here! We are currently watching the Rugby - the six nations are on (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy). We are flying form Belfast to Cardiff soon to see one of the matches. Shocking to read about your oncologist bill. I know in the States you get to see a consultant straight away and choose your care, but there is still something to be said for free care courtesy of the NHS. We moan about it, and have to wait an age for treatment, but terrible to be worrying about bills when you arent well.
Enjoyed hearing from your Dad the other day - I compared him to that pilot in NY - Chelsea, who landed the plane on water. I think he was pleased with the comparison. ha ha.
Cheers for now, and chin up,
Paula x