Saturday, February 14, 2009

Saturday Feb. 14

Happy Valentines Day! Mom helped me on Thursday night to put together valentines for Nathan's 3rd grade class, where they all exchange cards. Yesterday, the 13th was Brenton's 15th birthday. He came home with paper hearts on the door to his room and some balloons and Hershey's kissables. He would never guess that his aunt Jennie did it! This wasn't a party year for Brenton so he and my brother Dave brought 2 friends and Jonny to JCW's, a hamburger place with tons of other menu items, not just gourmet burgers. Then they came back to have cupcakes with candles in them. The rest of the evening, Jonny and one of Brenton's friends played Wii, using a new game from his uncle Dave Dolberg. I remember the boys coming home, but I think I went to sleep before David took Brenton's friend home. Nathan was at his cousin Clark's all evening. Thanks again to Melissa and Greg!
Because my stomach is swollen and distended, it looks like I'm about 6 weeks pregnant. It has bothered me all week and so I went to see my oncologist. Unfortunately, he didn't have anything to offer me. He said that diuretics would just take needed fluids out of my body. He didn't give me hope Dr. Shehadeh fold me that I would soon need to make the decision to keep going with chemotherapy or stop medical treatments and get hospice care instead. I'm going to ask around and see if any other doctors have other suggestions or treatments for me. The naturopathic doctor told me of some alternative treatments such as high doses of either vitamin C or melatonin. Another study was involved in giving baking soda, dissolved in water to change the body's PH level. Dr. Shehadeh said that he was doubtful these could help me. I did buy some supplements, so I'll keep using those.
I want to try one more 3-week round of this drug, especially if the swelling in my belly goes down. That would indicate that the swelling was partially due to the chemotherapy drug. I'll have to rely on the Lord to help me make my decision to keep going with treatment or to quit. Dr. Shehadeh said that at this point, the remaining cancer cells are resistant to the chemo drugs.
I'm too embarrassed to go to church, as I only have a few shirts that are big enough to cover my belly. Even many of my pants can't button in the front, so I have to wear elastic waistlines.
It has been wonderful to have my parents here this week. I feel glad, however, that they have promised to come again when I need help. I was glad to have an outing, so David and I took the older boys out for some shopping. We first went to DI to find a suit for Brenton. We ended up buying a dark blue blazer and khaki dress pants, as well as a long-sleeved blue dress shirt. Jonny picked out a necktie that had CTR in small print, following the lines of the color
I'm looking forward to a relaxing Sunday tomorrow. The boys are usually cooperative and we have a family home evening. I will get more time to talk to my husband and I usually feel like he has lightened my load. Thanks for your comments on this blog. I enjoy reading your ideas and inspiration.
Emilee

14 comments:

Jenn K said...

I'll bring some church outfits over to you next time I come. I have plenty of "baby doll" type shirts that are loose on the stomach but flattering. I'm glad Brenton liked the heart attack on his door. Take care!

Len and Elaine said...

Hi-Emilee,

We keep in touch privately but I want you and your parents to know how thankful I am that they have helped you so much this past week as well as Jennie, Greg and your many other family members and friends. I have such compassion for what you are going through as the past six weeks I have had health challanges which will lead to surgery next week. This has been a very special time, however, with the Lord and my journeys to the temple. I read an uplifting BYU Devotional article given last Fall by Elder Holland "The Liberty Jail--Temple" I will bring to you -- his insites on this earthly experience gives a depth of understanding to suffering and how the Lord is by our side through it all.

I pray for you always and will be contacting you how I can help this week.

Love,
Elaine

LUV5KDZ said...

Emilee,

Jessica is home now from the hospital. I couldn't stop thinking of you the whole time we were there. I was worried about you since your last post - but it is as I suspected, and I am sorry. Once again you are faced with heavy hearts and huge decisions - and blessed with the loving care of friends and family.

Your blog is a wonderful place to keep in touch with you, and with some of the people you have blessed along your way - like Faye Wade! Your happy spirit and willing heart to love and serve with joy has touched so many.

As always, you are busy making wonderful mom memories with your boys. Thank you for sharing a minute with me on the phone the other day.

Don't be embarassed about what your body is going through. Your amazing spirit is all that anyone will see. How sweet to have a friend to bring you comfortable clothes. That is love.

Thank you again for sharing your journey with us.

Love always,
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Emilee-

I am heading off to Tokyo in the eraly AM, and I'll take some photos and email them.

In fact, you may allready be aware of this, but Google Earth, when you update it, has GREAT resolution on Tokyo, and you can slo click the Street View option and look around. . . also in places liek Italy, Germany, etc. A fun way to remmember neat places.

Gogle Earth also has a built in flight simulator, so you can go to a favorite place- and then go to the "Tools" menu, and fly around with your mouse. Click "H" to toggle the heads up.

Hope you have a good week. . .I'll bring back some Japanese chocholate for you.

-Greg

Mark Newman said...

Hi, how are you? I was glad to read about what is going on with you and your family. I thought about Brenton's birthday as it was 15 years ago last week we lost our dad. He was born right after. I hope you have a good day...Lots of love and hugs from NY. Kath

Unknown said...

Hi Emilee,
I am an old friend of your brothers, Daniel and Dave. I read your blog and am amazed at your courage and strength. I hope and pray that you continue through this horrible challenge in your life. I live in Utah, so please do not hesitate to ask for some help, if you need it. Best of luck to you and your family!
Tracy Sheppard
PS...could you pass my email address on to Dave? I haven't talked to him in a while.
tracyjune74@yahoo.com

Christine said...

Hey Emilee,

Sorry that you haven't been feeling good lately. It was so good seeing you and your family having a good time down in San Diego. It's been pouring off and on for the last while so you picked a good time to come. I tried taking the kids to Disneyland on Friday for their day off and they were done by 5:00 they were cold and wet from the rain. I'm glad you guys had good weather when you were down!

Unknown said...

Hi Emily. I reconnected with your folks through facebook and learned of your struggles. It amazing how much of your sweetness and strength entered my heart and touched my life as I read your blog. Your life is leaving an impact far more reaching than you may realize. We send our best wishes. Rick & Judy Salway

Peter D said...

Hi Emilee,

I just thought I'd drop you a note to let you know that I'm thinking about you. It's a shame that you got such news on Valentine's Day. Valentine's day or not, I hope you know how many people love you and care about you. I'm one of that cheering crowd.

Keep smiling,

Peter

Jeff and Kathy said...

Emilee: I am sorry to hear that trials are still coming your way. You are truly a modern day "Job" and an inspiration to me of a "Woman of Great Faith". I too pray that you will continue to have faith and not fear. And I love doing laundry...can I help? I'll be in touch. Love Kathy Ivins

My Life...My Way said...

Hope you can make it to group this Thursday. It would be great to get to know you better. Your spiritual presence is very magnetic and I was disappointed when group was over and we had to leave.
Sue

Chrissie said...

I'm so glad I could see you today (and your wonderful mother-in-law). You are both amazing people. I loved looking at the pictures of your trip to San Diego. It definitely makes me want to take my family on a trip to the beach. Again, you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I'll bring the groceries over tonight, hopefully. Love you lots!

Ranger Grant said...

Emilee,

I just wanted you to know that there are many of us out here that don't comment that often, but we are reading your blog. You are teaching us with every entry. You and your family continue to be in our prayers.
Jim and Terry Bragg

Anonymous said...

Your blog looks so cute! I love the new look. I would love to come over and just visit with you when you are feeling up to it. I haven't seen you in over a week. I had a bad cold and didn't dare come near you. I will call tomorrow and see how you are feeling. If you are up to it, we can even do lunch one day.
Talk to you soon!
Cindy