Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday February 10th

My parents came over yesterday morning to help me. It was nice to have them here to help with the house, as I needed to rest most of the time. I've been really concerned about the increased swelling in my abdomen, due to the liver tumors. It makes me look about 5 months pregnant, but with most of the weight on top, against my ribcage. In an effort to get more advice, my parents went with me to a naturopathic Dr. in the afternoon. He recommended several supplements which should give my liver support and maybe help shrink the swelling. We stopped at a Health Food store and were able to find most of the items. One of them is castor oil which you are supposed to put on a damp cloth and spread it over your abdomen, so it can get absorbed by your skin. The rest of the supplements I can take by mouth.

David's dad also came by to take the boys out for haircuts yesterday afternoon. That was such a thoughful gift! The boys look really sharp. I'm really glad when the children can interact with and learn from their grandparents. This afternoon when the boys got home from school, my dad helped Jonny and his friend with their communication merit badge. Now, Dad is helping Brenton memorize lines for the play he is practicing for. Mom is encouraging Nathan to do his chores, though he is acting kind of resistant at the moment.

Today, I've got most of my chemo side effects under control with medication. I used the castor oil pack this morning. I didn't really notice any differences, but next time I am supposed to use a heating pad to increase the absorption into my skin. I'm using my GoLight right now to try to substitute for sunlight. I've been a little sad lately and worried about my new treatments and my growing liver. David has been feeling a lot of stress due to work and my worsening illness. In addition, his mother has not yet received a diagnosis for some of her health concerns. I think the winter season may also be affecting his mood. It has been kind of stormy and cloudy lately. Maybe my parents can drive me to a cancer support group on Thursday.

On the flip side, the children seem to be happy and they have been really great at doing their homework and chores. They give me hugs when I'm sad and they come and chat with me. They have also been getting along a lot better. Maybe having the Wii has helped, but Nathan and Jonny don't argue nearly as much as they used to and they even play together now. Brenton is excited about his birthday on Friday. He'll be 15. He won't have a friends party this year, but we can celebrate as a family. So, despite my large challenges, the Lord has blessed me with more peace and happiness in our home. We are also blessed with supportive parents and loving friends and relatives and neighbors.
Emilee

2 comments:

LUV5KDZ said...

Hi Emilee, your strength and peace amazes me! I thought I would share a dumb wife moment with you to make you laugh.

On Sunday, the missionaries called as I was getting ready to leave for church and asked me to check on a sister who was baptized last Sunday while I was in UT. They wanted to make sure she was going to make it to church to be confirmed. So, I was in a rush as I got to church as they started the opening hymn. I noticed my husband had left room for me to sit right behind the sister I was checking on. I had a gift for her and was debating giving it to her then or to wait till class when I sat down right next to my hubby on the bench. Now, Ben and I don't get a whole lot of quiet time together, so at church I always sit real close to him...like snuggly close you know. Anyway, he leaned over and whispered in my ear, "We don't usually sit this close on Sunday." Imagine my horror as I turned and I was sitting next to the WRONG MAN! I laughed out loud and said "You're not my husband...Where's MY husband?!" Then I noticed Ben several rows back from our usual spot just dying at my embarassment- and my shocking response (Like it was Bro. McDaniel's fault anyway) Thank heaven for his sweet sense of humor!

I think I shall not soon live that little blunder down! Everyone who noticed had quite the laugh at my expense :) Stuff like that doesn't happen very often in our quiet little ward.

I wish you all peace and blessings as you make your way through another round of treatment. I am so glad the GoLight is working for you.

Anonymous said...

And again, you seem to find the good among all the stresses and trials of life. It amazes me and makes me feel ashamed of my negative thoughts. Thank goodness we can always improve! :)
I hope you feel better soon, and that the peace remains in your home. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and make sure you take some time to have some fun together! It sounds like your trip was a huge blessing to all of you, and the warm weather sounds wonderful!! ( we are a bit warmer here, but it was only a high of 40-so, I am jealous of your trip! I am anxious for spring to arrive)
Have a GREAT day today!
Michelle Fauver